Meet the breed: Beagle
With over 160 American Kennel Club-recognized breeds, choosing the right dog can seem overwhelming. We're here to help you meet the breed that's right for you. If you're looking for a four-legged friend that will play nice with the kiddos, find out everything you need to know about the playful Beagle.
- Good with kids
- Easy grooming
- Playful temperament
- Long lifespan
- Food motivated
Friendly, happy and joyful, this breed's charming personality has landed the Beagle within the top five most-popular dog breeds in the country. Bred to hunt rabbits and other small animals, this hound's breeding history goes way back, though the origin of the name is unknown. It is believed the name comes from the French word "be'geule," meaning "open throat," a testament to the Beagle's widely recognized howl.
- AKC group: Hound
- UKC group: Scenthound
- Average lifespan: 12-15 years
- Average size: 20-25 lbs
- Coat appearance: Sleek, smooth, short
- Coloration: Brown, white & black, and more
- Hypoallergenic: No
- Other identifiers: Squarely built, fairly long body with short legs for hunting and chasing. The square muzzle is straight and medium in length. Long, wide-set ears. Black nose is broad with full nostrils for piqued sense of smell and a high-set, straight tail, never curled.
- Possible alterations: Coat coloring varies and can be seen in tricolor, black and tan, red and white, orange and white, and many other variations.
Is this breed right for you?
Beagles make excellent family pets. They love affection and attention, and their loving personalities make them great pets to have around kids. Their medium-sized builds allow Beagles to feel comfortable in most environments; however, they are a very vocal and energetic breed, so apartment life may not be ideal.
A dream day-in-the-life
Romping with the kids at the park or roaming wide-open spaces with its human best friends would mark an excellent day for this high-energy, attention-loving breed. A day of fun in the sun with plenty to sniff, chase and howl about is just what Beagle dreams are made of. After a few hours of playtime, a cozy nap on a warm lap would top off a perfect day.