Homemade healthy dog food recipe
If you look at the list of ingredients on some popular dog food brands, you'll be surprised to see just how many preservatives, dyes and additives are in your furry friend's kibble -- and the really good, healthy brands can cost a lot, some retailing for more than $50 for just one bag! Instead of spending an arm and a leg each week, make your own with this easy starter recipe.
This homemade dog food is a breeze and uses only fresh ingredients you love to eat as well. However, it's very important to talk with your veterinarian before you change your dog's food to ensure the variety you make has all the essential nutrients and vitamins your pup needs for healthy growth. This food is a great starter recipe you can build on later, a great once-a-week treat or a perfect addition to your pet's kibble to get them to eat.
Homemade dog food recipe
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
- 2 cups brown or enriched white rice, cooked
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups steamed chicken, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1-1/2 tablespoons egg powder
- 1 cup cooked vegetables (broccoli, carrots, potatoes, green beans), finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon kelp powder
- 1/2 tablespoon carob powder
- Mix rice, chicken, rosemary, egg powder and vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add water, 1/2 cup at a time, until mixture is moist, but not sitting in water. You want it to be wet enough so it's easy for your pet to digest.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated for 3-4 days.
Try this recipe and let us know if your dog enjoyed it!