Put your thinking cap on and turn your pregnancy brain off because you’re going to love these creative ways to measure your growing baby bump. These memories will become a treasured keepsake for you and your family for years to come.
Create a visual memory of your growing baby bump by making a photomontage of your weekly — or monthly — growth. To document your baby’s growth, stand so that you are showing the side of your belly and have someone take a full-length picture of you.
Compile pictures as you progress in your pregnancy and track your growth digitally — by photoshopping in the date and your current week of pregnancy — or with milestone stickers like the ones from Sticky Bellies ($15). After your baby is born, make a fast motion or regular speed slide show with all of the pictures in chronological order to have a special memory of your baby’s time inside the womb.
10 Tips for taking memorable pictures >>
It’s all about the numbers
Be reminded of your growing baby belly with weekly, monthly or individual milestone measurements. Each time you measure your baby belly, place a visual marker to forever capture how big your baby was at that moment in time. After your baby is born, frame or place the growth chart in a memory box, so you and your child can look back and reflect on those special moments. I get all teary-eyed just thinking about a mom giving one of these to her pregnant daughter to symbolize and share a special moment in time. Some visual memory keepsakes include Measure Me Mommie ($26-48) and The Mommy Measure ($17).
A star is born
Similar to taking photographs, keep a video diary of your growth progress and add in special messages to your baby, reactions from milestones — finding out the gender, first kick, first contraction, etc. — and finally, the birth. By creating a special video, you will have your fondest memories in one place and at your fingertips whenever you want to reminisce.
Tips for measuring your growing baby belly
- Mark your calendar or set an alarm on your phone to remind you that it’s time to capture your belly’s growth.
- Ask for help from a friend or family member, especially if you are taking weekly pictures or video.
- Keep your supplies in the same spot. There’s nothing worse than getting ready to capture a moment only to find that you misplaced your stickers, camera or measuring tape.
- Wear the same color shirt — or even the same shirt — if you are doing a photo or video montage.
- Take the video and/or pictures in front of the same door or wall. Also, standing in front of a light-colored wall is the best backdrop for this project.
- Make sure you have good lighting by standing outside or shining a light towards you from behind the camera.
- End your series with a picture of the baby. If you use a charm or tape measure, take a picture of the baby with it. If you take weekly photos or video, make the last picture of you holding your newborn baby in the same spot.
Image credit: Sticky Bellies
More about preparing for baby
8 Tips to prepare for baby
Rules of thumb for choosing a baby name
Finding a birthing option that’s right for you