From rodeos to hot air balloons, we’ve rounded up five fantastic family events from across the country.
21st Annual Native American Dance & Music Festival
The Native American Dance & Music Festival at Ganondagan State Historic Site is a hands-on cultural and educational event for people of all backgrounds and ages. Taking place in a once-thriving 17th-century Seneca town, the festival features folk music, Iroquois dancers, traditional storytellers, Native artisans, food, Native clothing, hiking trails and tours of a full-size bark longhouse replica.
- When: July 28-29, 2012
- Where: 1488 State Route 44, Victor, New York
- Contact: 585-742-1690 or email@example.com
- Website: www.ganondagan.org/NADMF.html
*EXPERT TIP: Check out Gtrot for deals on venues, events and activities in the city you’re visiting. ~Zach Smith, Gtrot founder
Breckenridge PRCA ProRodeo
Bring your family to Breckenridge for the first PRCA ProRodeo. Enjoy the Bar-B-Que Cowboy Dinner, take a behind-the-chutes tour with the PRCA ProRodeo Clown and sign up for the mutton busting, or calf scramble. Then settle into the bleachers for an exciting rodeo show featuring bareback riding, team roping, steer wrestling, barrel racing and more!
- When: Every Saturday and Sunday in August 2012
- Where: 111 Ski Hill Road, Breckenridge, Colorado
- Contact: 970-389-1701 or Gobreck@gobreck.com
- Website: http://gobreck.com/events/community-events/breckenridge-prca-prorodeo
30th Annual Quick Chek New Jersey Festival of Ballooning
Don’t miss the largest summertime hot air balloon and music festival! The three-day event takes place at Solberg Airport in Readington and features more than 100 unique hot air balloons from around the world. New Jersey Monthly magazine awarded the festival the honor of being the “No. 1 Thing to Do in New Jersey in 2012.” More than 150,000 visitors will enjoy fireworks, children’s amusement rides, a 5K family race and hundreds of arts, crafts and food vendors.
- When: July 27-29, 2012
- Where: 39 Thor Solberg, Road, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
- Contact: 1-800-HOT-AIR9 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.balloonfestival.com/
Laura Ingalls Wilder Days
The beloved Little House on the Prairie books come to life at Old World Wisconsin in Eagle. Experience draft horse power, watch a steam threshing machine, make rope and participate in chores and activities straight from the pages of the books. Join the look-alike pageant dressed up as Mary, Laura, Grace, Almanzo, or Willie and Nellie!
- Where: W372 S9727 Highway 67, Eagle, Wisconsin
- When: August 4-5, 2012
- Contact: 262-594-6301 or email@example.com
- Website: www.oldworldwisconsin.wisconsinhistory.org
Virginia Lake Festival
This free event has been named “One of the Top 20 Events” by the Southeast Tourism Society for many years. Your family will experience a non-stop day filled with hot air balloon and helicopter rides, sand sculptors, antique cars, fireworks, a car show and more than 200 food and craft vendors in downtown Clarksville.
- When: July 19-21, 2012
- Where: 105 Second Street, Clarksville, Virginia
- Contact: 800-557-5582 or 434-374-2436 or firstname.lastname@example.org