If you’re expecting a baby and are a Game of Thrones fan, your mind is probably racing with anticipation for two things right now: The birth of your child and the GoT Season 7 premiere on Sunday.
OK, the return of your favorite TV show might not be quite as exciting as having a baby — but it’s pretty darn close. Why not bring the two worlds together by perusing some Game of Thrones inspired baby names?
Yes, Game of Thrones is genius and amazing — but let’s be real, the show is all kinds of weird. However, oddly enough, not all the names are. They range from the beautiful (hello, “Sansa” gorgeously rolls of the tongue), to the almost mundane (Jon Snow is epic, but his name? Kinda normal), and the totally unique.
The show is teeming with some pretty great names, so we gathered them all together for your consideration.
Cast of characters
Based on the fantasy novel series A Song of Ice and Fire written by American author George R. R. Martin, the show features complex story lines, in-depth characterization and compelling themes that run from inner corruption, religion, the allure of power, allegiance and deceit.
The characters in the TV show have really beautiful and often unique names — many names that you probably haven’t heard before, but are still gentle and melodic to the ear. We’ve gathered the best names — the main characters and the supporting cast — that make up the world of Game of Thrones. We’ve also included a brief bit of info about them, but we’ve tried to not spring any spoilers on those who haven’t had the chance to watch all of the episodes.
Game of Thrones names for girls
- Arya: Third child of Eddard and Catelyn Stark
- Brienne: A member of Renly Baratheon’s Kingsguard
- Catelyn: Lady of Winterfell, wife of Lord Eddard Stark
- Cersei: Queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros
- Daenerys: Exiled princess of the Targaryen dynasty, also known as “the Stormborn”
- Ellaria: Prince Oberyn Martel’s paramour
- Gilly: A young Wilding girl north of the Wall
- Kinvara: High Priestess of the Red Temple of Volantis
- Lysa: Mistress of the Eyrie and sister of Catelyn Stark
- Margaery: She is the only daughter of Lord Mace Tyrell
- Melisandre: A priestess in service to Stannis Baratheon
- Missandei: Formerly a slave in Astapor, Missandei is fluent in the Common Tongue and High Valyrian
- Myrcella: A princess, she is the younger sister of Joffery
- Osha: A Wilding woman held captive at Winterfell
- Sansa: Second child of Eddard and Catelyn Stark
- Selyse: Wife of Stannis Baratheon
- Shae: Handmaiden to Sansa and love interest of Tyrion
- Shireen: Daughter of Selyse and Stannis
- Talisa: A healer on the battlefield
- Talla: Sister of Sam
- Yara: Daughter of Balon Greyjoy and sister of Theon
- Ygritte: A Wilding with red hair
Next Up: Game of Thrones names for boys
Originally published May 2013. Updated July 2017.