4 Cinco de Mayo crafts kids are gonna go crazy for
Fire up the Cinco de Mayo festivities with crafts for kids that will put the fiesta in your fun. From DIY paper bag piñatas to homemade maracas, crack open these four Cinco de Mayo crafts for kids and let the festivities begin!
Paper bag piñatas
You don't have to empty your wallet to celebrate May 5 when you create Cinco de Mayo crafts with the materials you already have at home! Turn a simple lunch bag, leftover streamers and goodies from your cupboard into a DIY piñata that is bursting with fun without breaking the bank.
What you'll need:
- brown paper lunch bag
- tissue paper (optional)
- glue stick
- 1 rubber band
- treats and toys
- string or yarn
- pole, stick or plastic bat
What you'll do:
- Cut lengths of streamers to stretch across each side of your bag. Use scissors to fringe cut along one long edge. Repeat with your colors of choice.
- Lay your folded brown paper lunch bag on a flat surface and glue stick the uncut edge of the fringed streamer to the bag, starting at the bottom. Overlap the next row slightly above the first row until you've reached four inches from the top, leaving room to close the bag. Repeat on other side.
- Open lunch bag and continue gluing fringed streamers to the sides, using same technique.
- Turning bag upside down, glue lengths of un-fringed streamers to the bottom of the bag.
- Turn bag right side up and fill the inside of the bag with treats and toys.
- Cut a length of string or yarn long enough to hang your piñata from up high.
- Twist the top of the paper bag closed, lay end of the string along the twisted bag, and secure both together with rubber band.
- Hang your DIY piñata from somewhere high and let your kiddos break it open with a pole, stick or plastic bat to unleash the Cinco de Mayo fun hiding inside! Just be sure you hang in a place with plenty of room to avoid doing damage to more than just your paper bag piñata.
- Optional: To make it easier for younger kids to break open, use scissors to cut the bottom of your paper bag off, open up the bag and replace bottom by gluing a sheet of tissue paper to the bottom outside of the bag before adding fringe to sides.