Memorial Day is a special day of remembrance, but sometimes that gets forgotten — especially by kids who mostly think of it as just another day off school. If you get them involved with planning the celebration, however, it’s the perfect opportunity to teach them what the day is really all about.
Have your kids make some of these easy American flag crafts. Not only will they learn about Memorial Day, but they’ll also be totally proud to display their homemade decorations in celebration of the special holiday.
1. Red, white and blue American flag fabric wreath
What you’ll need:
- 1/3 yard red jersey knit
- 1/3 yard white jersey knit
- 1/3 yard light blue jersey knit
- 1/3 yard dark blue jersey knit
- wreath form
What you’ll do:
- Begin by cutting out all four colors of the jersey knit fabric into 3-inch squares.
- Lay a square over the top of the wreath form.
- Use your pen to press the center of the fabric down into the wreath form. Press the fabric far enough into the wreath form that is does not easily come out.
- Alternate colors, and fill in the front, center and side of the wreath form with the squares of fabric.
- Once the wreath is completely filled in, hang the wreath on the door.
Next Up: Popsicle stick American flag
Updated by Sarah Long on 5/24/17.