50 Easter-Inspired Baby Names Perfect for Your Spring Baby
When you think of Easter, what comes to mind? Maybe it's fresh spring flowers or light April showers or dyed eggs and egg hunts or a fresh batch of pastel-color clothes for the kids or waking up bright and early to head to church or all or none of the above. But if you're about to bring home a new bundle of baby-shaped joy this month, maybe you're skipping any spring traditions in favor of nesting/panicking/endlessly adding to your list of baby-name potentials. Well, why not consider an Easter-inspired baby name?
If you celebrate Easter and are having a spring baby, the names below could provide a perfect fit. They're light and warm; some have spiritual or religious roots, and some are just plain spring-tastic.
Below, take a look at some of the best Easter-inspired baby names around.
Flower baby names
Raindrops on roses and daisies and tulips... maybe those aren't the song lyrics exactly, but they're definitely some of our favorite things. The spring flowers traditionally arranged around Easter symbolize the beginning of spring and rebirth: What's more pure than that?
What's beautiful about having an Easter flower name is that a lot of them have deeper meanings that go way beyond their floral namesake — from symbols of innocence to meaning "fresh" or "bringer of joy."
- Lily: The flower lily is a symbol of innocence, purity and beauty.
- Iris: In Latin, the meaning of the name Iris is "bringer of joy."
- Primrose (or Prim)
- Blossom: In English, Blossom means "fresh."
Spring-inspired baby names
Why not let the spring season inspire your name choice? The following names are definitely unique and are appropriate for any gender, really. From landscape-inspired names to zodiac signs, these names give us serious spring vibes.
- Brooks: In English, Brooks means "stream."
- Leif: In Swedish, the meaning of the name Leif is "dearly loved," and in Norse, it means "descendant."
- Sage: In English, Sage means "wise one."
- Reed: The Scottish meaning of this name is "redhead."
Spiritual Easter baby names
If you would like to give your baby a spiritual name inspired by the people in the story of Easter, check these names out. They are a little more classic — which means they'll never go out of style.
Easter around the world
If you are looking for an exotic Easter baby name, consider one that means "Easter" in another language. For example, in Spanish, Pascual and Pascuala mean "Easter," while in Italian, it's Pasquale. In French, Pascal is the masculine version and Pascale the feminine.
Baby names with Easter-inspired meanings
These gorgeous names are totally reminiscent of Easter.
- Caldwell: English boy name meaning "from the cold spring"
- Attwell: English boy name meaning "lives by the spring"
- Lavernia: French girl name meaning "born in the spring"
- Tazia: Italian girl name meaning "one who will be reborn"
- Lulu: Native American girl name meaning “rabbit”
Last but not least: the name Easter! Easter is of English origin and has both pagan and Christian roots, meaning "from the name of the Christian festival, which is based on Eostre, the name of a Germanic spring goddess." And hey, if that's a bit too wacky for a first name, there's always the middle.
A version of this article was originally published in February 2013.