Transform your round orange pumpkin into a work of art with these out-of-the-box decorating ideas.
Blogger Ann Drake of On Sutton Place created an elegant pumpkin display with ease. The simplicity of this pumpkin design is truly appealing — and so easy to copy!
- Drake started with a sturdy black urn. Look for inexpensive urns on summer clearance racks and pick up a can of glossy black spray paint.
- Next, find the perfect pumpkin — one that’s about as tall and wide as your urn.
- Personalize your pumpkin with a monogram. If you have a steady hand, then some acrylic paint and a brush are all you need. Drake opted for “the easy route and used a peel-and-stick vinyl decal.” Try 6-inch Black Gothic Stick-On Letters (Amazon, $8).
- Secure the pumpkin. Drake added garland, and on her blog she said, “a bit of grapevine garland helped steady them in the urns and it added some interest.”
Pumpkins aren’t the only thing you can carve. Create your next jack-o’-lantern from a cantaloupe or honeydew melon.
- Cut a 1-inch slice off the bottom of the melon to form a flat base.
- Clean out the melon and enjoy the fruit.
- Using The Pampered Chef’s V-Shaped Cutter (The Pampered Chef, $11), create a scary (or not-so-scary) face.
- Invert the melon over a lit votive candle on a heat-safe platter for a spooky Halloween centerpiece.
Note: Use an LED votive to make sure your fruit o’lantern is safe.
Share your favorite Halloween recipe with visitors using this pumpkin recipe card. Facebook fan page Holidays received hundreds of “Likes” for this classic pumpkin pie recipe.
Some black paint, a permanent marker or a handy paint pen (Target, $11) will make easy work of this decorating project.
Note: Holidays recommends baking this pumpkin pie recipe for “35-45 minutes, or until the center is still a bit jiggly.”
Remember Mr. Potato Head? He and the Mrs. are here just in time for Halloween. Pumpkin push-pin kits are an easy way to decorate a pumpkin — no knives, no mess!
The Mr. Potato Head vampire pumpkin kit (HalloweenCostumes.com, $15) includes everything you need to make a cute and creepy Dracula: Eyebrows, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, arms and shoes. There’s an adorable witch version, too!