Dr. Seuss-inspired family craft ideas
“It's not about what it is, it's about what it can become," ? Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
While the family enjoys watching Dr. Seuss' The Lorax on DVD or Blu-Ray, keep hands busy with these easy-to-do crafts!
In honor of The Lorax — and forests everywhere — you can create your own colorful Truffula Trees with these tips from Inner Child Fun.
- Sticks from the yard
- Paints and paint brush
- Pom-poms (or felt pieces)
- Recycled plastic lid (from a frosting can or yogurt container, for example)
- Play dough
- Paint colorful stripes on the sticks.
- Glue the pom-poms to the sticks to form tree tops.
- Add playdough to the plastic lid and insert the stick trees into the dough!
Thing 1 and Thing 2 Peg People
If you can't find wooden pegs for this fun project from Zakka Life, then use old-fashioned wood clothespins sawed-off at the bottom.
- Wood pegs (or wood clothespins sawed-off at the bottom)L
- Light blue pom-poms
- Red and white acrylic paint and paint brush
- Black fine point pen
- Acrylic gloss
- Paint a head, neck and circle on the stomach with white paint. Let it dry and repeat with two or three more coats until it's opaque.
- Paint the rest of the body red. Let it dry completely.
- Add the face and stomach details with black pen. Then, let it dry.
- Apply two coats acrylic gloss.
- Apply glue to the top and back of the head. Place the pom-pom on top, and hold in place until it's secure.
Cat in the Hat Finger Puppet
Use this basic concept from Craft Jr. to create all sorts of Dr. Seuss characters!
- Pipe cleaners: 2 red, 1 white, 2 black
- Pom-poms: 1 large white, 1 tiny black
- Googly eyes
- Black thread (for whiskers)
- Cat body: Wrap both of the black pipe cleaners tightly around your finger (or a marker) to make the finger puppet base. Shape a 4-inch black pipe cleaner for the arms.
- Cat hat: Wind both red and white pipe cleaners around your finger to make the shaft of the hat; after three turns, start winding them together to make the brim. Shape as needed.
- Glue the hat to the white pom-pom.
- Bend two small black pieces of pipe cleaner to make the ears. Glue them just below the hat.
- Cut black thread into two 1-1/2 inch pieces, and glue them to the back of the black nose pom-pom.
- Assemble the face by gluing the nose and googly eyes to the cat face pom-pom.
- Glue the head to the puppet base.
- Create arms with a 4-inch black pipe cleaner. Slide the arms into the coils of the body.
- Form a bow with a red pipe cleaner around the neck, and trim off the excess length.