Dr. Seuss-inspired family recipe ideas
Bring your favorite Dr. Seuss story to life with these unique food and snack ideas.
Spend some quality family time together: Watch Dr. Seuss' The Lorax on DVD/Blu-Ray while cooking up a storm!
Green Eggs and Ham
I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam-I-Am. Try them, try them, and you may! Try them and you may, I say. ~Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Your kids will enjoy this standard breakfast even more when it's green!
- 8 eggs
- 12 drops green food coloring
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of ham
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, and add food coloring, salt and pepper. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Pour the eggs into a heated skillet and scramble.
- In a separate skillet, sear ham on both sides.
- Serve immediately.
Red Fish, Blue Fish
One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. ~One Fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish by Dr. Seuss
Children love creating these JELL-O® JIGGLERS® fish shapes almost as much as they love eating them!
- 5 cups boiling water
- 2 packages (8-serving size each) red JELL-O® gelatin
- 2 packages (8-serving size each) blue JELL-O® gelatin
- In a large bowl, stir 2-1/2 cups of boiling water into a red gelatin until its completely dissolved (about 3 minutes). Then, pour into 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Repeat with blue gelain.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- Dip the bottoms of the pans in warm water for 15 seconds. Cut the gelatin into fish shapes with a knife or cookie cutters. Lift the fish from the pan.
- Reserve scraps for snacking, and store the leftovers in a covered container in refrigerator.
Who Roast Beast
And he, he himself, the Grinch — carved the roast beast. - How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
- 3 pounds boneless bottom round roast
- Garlic powder
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- White potatoes, quartered
- Medium crock-pot
- Rinse the roast and pat it dry. Sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Place the potatoes in the crock-pot. Add the roast. Then, cover with the beef broth and cream of mushroom soup.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, then on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the meat and potatoes.
- Return heat to high and create gravy from the liquid remaining in the crock-pot.
- Pour the gravy over the roast and potatoes and serve.
Cat in the Hat Snack
Look at me! Look at me! Look at me NOW! It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how. ~The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
This silly snack takes coordination to build — and eat!
- Graham crackers
- Red and clear gummy Lifesavers candy
- Vanilla frosting
- Use a bit of vanilla frosting to glue the first gummy onto the graham cracker.
- Continue to stack and glue the gummies, alternating colors.
- Open up wide and eat!