Creamy buttermilk-herb potato salad
This year, instead of ordinary mayonnaise-based potato salad, create this delicious recipe with buttermilk, courtesy of Cooking Light Big Book of Salads.
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1?2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1?3 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1?4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1-1?4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1?2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- dill sprigs (optional)
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until just tender; drain. Cool 30 minutes.
- Combine creme fraiche and next seven ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add warm potatoes; toss gently to coat. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Make sure the potatoes cook until just tender and no more; that way, they’ll hold their shape.
Patriotic pound cake
Award-winning BBQ champion Troy Black adds some sizzle to your sweet tooth this Fourth of July with this patriotic pound cake recipe. As part of the Sam’s Club Simply Delicious Brigade, Troy Black created this simple, festive dessert that uses less than five ingredients and is ready in only a few minutes.
- 1 package Sam’s Club Artisan Fresh Slice Pound Cake
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- powdered sugar
- Heat grill to medium high heat.
- Place slices of Sam’s Club Artisan Fresh Slice Pound Cake on grill for 30 seconds. Flip to alternate side and cook for another 30 seconds and then remove from the grill.
- Place strawberry slices and blueberries on top of pound cake and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Watermelon and blueberry salad
One of the easiest ways to turn any food into a Fourth of July treat is with cookie cutters. Tonya Staab suggests a watermelon and blueberry salad. Simply slice the watermelon and then use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the stars. Gently layer the stars with blueberries in a bowl. Serve chilled.