It’s not expensive to buy sidewalk chalk, but when you make your own, you can create any color and shape you want. Plus, your kids will love to be a part of this project!
These fun sidewalk chalks are a great way to get crafty with your kids, and wrapped in cellophane, they make great gift and party favors!
What you’ll need:
- Plaster of Paris
- Powdered tempera paint
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone molds
Family fun: Bring out your inner artist >>
- Lay out plastic or paper towels to protect your work space.
- Add as much Plaster of Paris as you want to your mixing bowl, and add 3/4 cup of water for each cup of plaster. Make as much sidewalk chalk mix as you like, as long as you stick with this formula.
- Add in as much powdered tempera paint as you want to get the color you’re going for.
- Pour the chalk mixture into your molds. Use the back of a butter knife, a paint scraper or a wooden skewer to level off the tops so they come out flat.
- Let the molds sit for one to two hours or until they’re hardened. Your drying time will vary based on the size of your molds. One they’re dry, just pop them right out.
- Wash your tools off outside, not in your sink. The plaster will set up in your pipes just like it does your molds!
Find out how to plan a messy art day for your preschooler >>
Try making two colors of chalk mix and swirling them together in the molds!