While we’d all love for things to always go swimmingly, they can’t — and won’t. Going after our dreams isn’t always one big success story.
It sucks. But for me, the right tunes can make things better when my dreams seem so far away. Here are songs to brighten your day.
Music is many things. It’s something that creates a soundtrack for our lives. It’s what we do homework to as children and blast in our cars. It sets the stage for musicals and ballets. We dance to it at proms and weddings. It speaks to our hearts and comforts us in hard times. And when we need it, music can be the ultimate pick-me-up.
Why we need it
As a mother and a busy freelance writer, I need to be on top of my game — always. My kids need me to be an engaged and available mother who can help study for spelling tests and bake cookies on lazy Sundays. My freelancing career requires me to be focused on whatever subject I am researching and writing.
But sometimes, when life derails a little and it feels like my dreams are too far out of reach, it’s easy to drift into wallowing territory. That’s not a good nor productive place to be. Going after your dreams can be a journey filled with highs and lows — or successes and rejections.
Fortunately, music helps. Turning on the right song can spin the day back into the right direction and refocus the energies. These songs are perfect whenever you need a little extra push. Hit play — and don’t be afraid to let your kids join in (and dance!) too.
- “Stronger” — Kelly Clarkson
- “Beautiful Day” — U2
- “Part of Me” — Katy Perry
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” — Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
- “Faith” — George Michael
- “On the Edge” — Lady Gaga
- “I Remember Me” — Jennifer Hudson
- “A Moment Like This” — Kelly Clarkson
- “Empire State of Mind” — Jay-Z with Alicia Keys
- “Born This Way” — Lady Gaga
- “I Gotta Feeling” — Black Eyed Peas
- “Dreams” — Van Halen
- “Lose Yourself” — Eminem
- “Fighter” — Christina Aguilera
- “I Believe I Can Fly” — R. Kelly
- “Eye of the Tiger” — Survivor
- “You’ve Got It (The Right Stuff)” — NKOTB
- “Life is a Highway” — Tom Cochrane
- “I’m Every Woman” — Whitney Houston
- “It’s My Life” —
- “Firework” —
- “Defying Gravity” — from Wicked
- “We Are Family” — Sister Sledge
- “Good Life” — One Republic
- “You’re All I Need to Get By” — Marvin Gaye
- “I’m A Believer” — The Monkees
- “Home” — Michael Buble