Celebrities who became parents through adoption
We were thrilled to find out Charlize Theron just adopted a baby boy named Jackson -- and it got us thinking about other celebrities who became moms and dads through adoption. We immediately think of Angelina Jolie and her adopted children, but did you know Sharon Stone has two adopted sons? Diane Keaton became a single mom at age 50 when she adopted two kids, Duke and Dexter. Check out our list of more celebrities who are parents through adoption.
Charlize Theron announced today she has adopted a baby boy, born in the U.S., that she has named Jackson. The 36-year-old single mom shared the news through her rep, who said, "Charlize Theron has adopted a child. She is the proud mom of a healthy baby boy named Jackson."
The Oscar Award-winning actress broke up with actor Stuart Townsend in January 2010 after nine years.
“She has always wanted to be a mom," a source tells Us Weekly. "She is glad to be able to do it on her own now and is so happy to be a mom."
Congratulations to Charlize!
Which other celebrities have became parents by adoption? Check out our list below.
- Ewan McGregor and his wife Eve Mavrakis adopted 4-year-old Jamiyan from Mongolia in 2006.
- Meg Ryan adopted a 14-month-old daughter from China in 2006. Her name was originally Charlotte, but Meg later changed her name to Daisy.
- Actress Edie Falco has two adopted children, a son named Anderson and a daughter named Macy.
- Lionel Richie and his wife adopted Nicole Richie when she was 3 years old from one of his backstage assistants in 1984.
- After struggling with infertility for a decade, actress Nia Vardalos and her husband, Cougar Town star Ian Gomez, adopted a 4-year-old girl in 2008.
- The Sound of Music star Julie Andrews was one of the first celebrities to adopt internationally when she welcomed Vietnamese daughters Amy and Joanna into her home in 1974.
- ‘Till Death actress Joely Fisher adopted daughter Olivia Luna from Africa in 2008.
- Actor Hugh Jackman and his wife were actually present when their son, Oscar Maximillian, was born in 2000 -- and even reportedly had his biological mom live with them for a period of time. They also adopted daughter Ava Eliot in 2005.
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have three children who were adopted, Maddox from Cambodia, Pax from Vietnam and Zahara from Ethiopia.
- Kate Capshaw adopted son Theo shortly before marrying director Steven Spielberg. The couple went on to adopt Mikaela George together.
- Katherine Heigl and her husband Josh Kelley adopted Naleigh when she was 10 months old from South Korea in 2009.
- Tom Cruise and his now ex-wife Nicole Kidman adopted Isabella Jane in 1993 and Connor Antony in 1995.
- Madonna has two children who were adopted. A boy named David who she adopted from Malawi in 2006 and a daughter named Mercy James who also was adopted from Malawi in 2009.
- Weeds star Mary-Louise Parker adopted Caroline “Ash” Aberash from Africa in 2007.
- Sandra Bullock adopted her son, Louis Bardo, when he was 3 1/2 months old. He was born in New Orleans.
- Sex in the City star Kristin Davis adopted a daughter named Gemma Rose, who was born in the U.S.
- The Help star Viola Davis adopted a baby girl named Genesis.