How to save money on holiday toy shopping
If you haven't finished Christmas shopping for the kids, don't worry -- you still have a little bit of time left. Follow these budget tips and shopping suggestions to save money on your holiday toy shopping.
Scour the sales
You should always keep an eye out for sales and comparison shop before you buy -- even when you are shopping at the last minute. Toys "R" Us has a number of popular toys on sale right now. Here is just a sampling of some of the specials they have to offer.
- Mega Bloks Need for Speed Construction Sets -- 50 percent off
- Bratz All Glammed Up Dolls & Style Heads -- 50 percent off
- Hot Wheels or Matchbox Kid Picks -- Buy 2, get the 3rd free
- Imaginarium Wooden Puzzles -- Buy 2, get the 3rd free
- Free Fashion Pack when you buy any Cabbage Pack Kids Doll
- Free Gift when you buy any Disney Princess & Me Doll
- Free Gift with Moxie Girlz doll purchase $40 or more
- Disney Baby Einstein or Disney Jr DVDs -- Buy 1, get 1 50 percent off
- Girls' Squinkies -- Buy 1, get 1 50 percent off
Amazon, Target, Walmart and Big Lots are also great places to find deals on Christmas toys currently. Be sure to review their shipping schedules to assure the gifts will arrive in time for Christmas.
Do a toy swap
"Find a parent in your same situation and toy swap," says writer, mother and penny-pincher Ashley Grimaldo. "Package up three of your child's better toys and exchange the same number with a like-minded friend. Make sure the toys are fairly newish looking to avert any suspicion. Since Junior wants that train set at his friend's house, it's exactly what he'll see under the tree. Check out other organized sites with more variety like Toy Swap."
Shop flash sales
Flash sale websites offer products at a deep discount in limited quantities for a short period of time -- sometimes just a few hours or a day. You still have time to shop for toys at up to 80 percent off at various flash sale sites, and get your purchases delivered by Christmas. Check out more information about holiday shopping on flash sale sites.