It doesn’t take much in the way of supplies to create some super-festive and very sweet holiday crafts as a family. And if you celebrate Christmas, you have a built-in depository for all kiddos’ completed tiny crafts: the Christmas tree itself. The ornaments and garlands ahead are just the beginning: It’s time to break out your sparkly pipe cleaners and get to it.
1. Pinecone ornaments
Pinecones can be found at most crafting stores or if you’re lucky in your own backyard. Kids will love coming up with their very own ornaments to deck out a Christmas tree — or the whole house.
- Craft glue
- 2 shallow bowls
- Fill one shallow bowl with a mixture of craft glue and water (3 parts glue to 1 part water).
- Mix the glue and water together.
- Fill the second shallow bowl with a thin layer of glitter.
- Dip the ends of the pinecone into the glue mixture.
- Hold the pinecone over the bowl containing the glitter and sprinkle glitter over the wet glue.
- Let it dry.
- Tie a piece of yarn near the top of the pinecone in a loop.
Tip: Pinecone Christmas tree ornaments make great gifts for teachers and family members.
Next up: Christmas reindeer pot
Originally published December 2012. Updated November 2017.