Are stacks of mail taking over your counter top? Don’t stuff the piles in the junk drawer. Get organized. Tonight, get the family together and make a family mail sorter out of cereal boxes. Put your family mail sorter to use, and say goodbye to the clutter – and the lost bills.
What you’ll need:
- One empty cereal box for each member of the family – all boxes should be the same size
- Wrapping paper or construction paper
- Craft paints and paintbrushes or crayons, markers and stickers
This mail sorter will be formed from cereal boxes that are first cut into “magazine holders”, and then glued together.
- Cut the top flaps off each cereal box.
- Cut the boxes from one of the top corners, down across the wide side of the box at a 45 degree angle, until you reach to the opposite side.
- Continue cutting, straight across the narrow side.
- Now cut up the other wide side at a 45 degree angle, until you reach the opposing top corner of the cereal box.
- Cut the wrapping paper or construction paper to size, and glue to the sides of the cereal boxes. (Remember – you will be gluing the boxes together, so only decorate the panels that will be showing.)
- Have each family member write their name on the front panel of their box, and decorate with paint, markers, stickers and crayons.
- Line up your boxes in the order you’d like your mail sorted, and glue the side panels together to form one solid family mail sorter.
- Place your new mail sorter on the counter. Congratulations! You’re now ready to sort your mail as it comes in the door. Say goodbye to the clutter and hello to your new family communication station.