If you’ve always wanted to make a blanket but haven’t sewn anything since your junior-high home economics class, you’ll love this project. With just a few pieces of fleece, a pair of scissors and kids who know how to tie knots, you’ll be able to make a cute and cozy no-sew fleece blanket in one evening.
What you’ll need:
- 1-1/2 yards patterned fleece
- 1-1/2 yards of solid fleece
- Fabric scissors
- Lay the fleece pieces flat on a table.
- Cut off the selvage (rough) edges (They’re usually white and printed with text.)
- Cut each fleece piece to the same size and lay them down together, with the back (wrong) sides facing each other. Make sure they are aligned before you begin your cutting, as you’ll be cutting through both pieces at the same time.
- Cut out a four-inch square from each corner of your fleece.
- Make one-inch wide, four-inch long cuts all along the edges of your borders. Use a ruler or masking tape with one-inch markings on it for easy measurement.
- Once your cuts are done, pick up a strip of fleece, keeping the patterned and solid fleece flat against each other. (You’re not separating the top and bottom fleeces and tying them together.) Loop the strip around and pull it through itself, making a firm knot (but not so tight it loses its fluffiness).
- Continue picking up strips and tying knots all the way around the blanket until you’ve completed them all.
More family fun ideas
How to play a neighborhood scavenger hunt
How to plan an educational game night
How to make silhouette pictures
Leave a Comment