You want to protect your iPod from wear and tear as well as theft. Disguising it as something ordinary – such as a gum wrapper – is a great way to keep your expensive little gadget safe.
This craft is easy for you and your kids to do in one evening. Turn on the music, chew some gum and have a lot of fun!
Warning: This iPod case will not protect your iPod from dropping or other abuse.
What you need
- pack of gum slightly larger than your iPod
- fabric or felt
- hot glue gun
- Velcro (optional)
- iPod and headphones
Bonus: Your iPod will always smell like your favorite flavor of gum!
- Pick your favorite gum (Eclipse, Orbit, 5 Gum) in a case that’s close to the size of your iPod.
- Chew the gum and save the paper package it came in.
- Gently take apart the gum cover until you have one flat piece of paper.
- Find a small piece of fabric or felt that will fit the gum cover.
- Hot glue or staple the fabric to the inside of the gum cover.
- Re glue the package back to its original shape. Tip: Wait for all glue to dry before putting the iPod inside!
- Do not glue the main flap – that’s how you’ll put your iPod inside. Tip: Add a tiny strip of Velcro to keep the iPod in and the flap closed.
- Use a sharp instrument to poke a hole in the end of the cover through which you’ll attach the earphones. Tip: Make sure your iPod is not inside when you’re poking around with sharp instruments!
Practice on a variety of different brands and flavors of gum until you find the one that’s just right for your iPod!
Try these fun family projects
Soda bottle butterflies
Cell phone case
Leave a Comment