There is just something so darling about little footprints — especially when they belong to your babies! Decorate your home and landscape with footprint stepping stones with these easy steps.
You’ll need a few supplies before you get started on this easy project. One of them is cement. But trust us, it’s not as daunting as it seems.
Here is a list of what you’ll need:
- Large plastic bucket to mix cement
- Mold (you can purchase plastic molds of varying shapes at hardware stores or you can use a foil pie plate or old baking tin)
- Rubber gloves
- Vegetable oil
- Smoothing spatula
- Small trinkets, tiles, beads for decoration
OK! It’s time to begin. Here’s a tip: Cement dries quickly. Once you mix the cement, it’s go time! Make sure you are ready. If you need a bit more time, fill a spray bottle with water so you can mist the cement mixture to keep it moist as you work.
- Mix the cement according to directions on the package.
- Spray stepping stone mold with WD-40.
- Pour the cement into the mold and smooth the surface with the spatula.
- Coat your baby’s foot in olive oil and gently press the foot into the cement until it makes the desired impression.
- Add tiles, glass beads, marbles and special trinkets. You can also etch in your child’s name, date of birth, etc.
- Allow the stepping stone to dry for several days. Remove it from the mold. It should pop right out.
- Finally, you can paint the cement stepping stone, then coat it with a protective finish, especially if you are going to use your stepping stones instead of displaying them.