Tips for how to use homeopathy in your family
Ever wondered what homeopathy was all about? Interested in natural medicine, but not sure where to begin? Read on for an introduction to homeopathy and tips for how to use this method of health care in your family.
Homeopathy is a gentle method of healing that stimulates the immune system to bring the body back in balance. Unlike some forms of conventional medicine that mask the symptoms of disease and can put additional burden on the body's immune system, homeopathy works with the body to promote natural healing and therefore has no unpleasant side-effects. Homeopathy is safe for everyone including infants, children and pregnant women.
While it is considered a form of alternative medicine here in the United States, it is widely used in Europe and other parts of the world, where it is fully integrated into the medical system. Homeopathy has been proven in many clinical studies to be an effective and powerful form of medicine.
How to Use Homeopathy
Although there are many natural grocers and health food stores that now sell homeopathic medicine to the general public, it is always best to find a homeopathic practitioner if you are interested in using homeopathic medicine in your family. Homeopathy can be used effectively for everything from colds and flus to more serious chronic conditions. But trying to choose your own remedies without training is like trying to practice conventional medicine without an M.D. Visit the Society of Homeopaths to find a registered homeopath in your area.
Tips for Using Homeopathy
Because homeopathy is different than conventional medicine, there are some tips for using it that you might not know about.
- Take all homeopathic remedies at least fifteen minutes before or after a meal for best absorption by your tongue.
- When dispensing remedies to your children or other family members, do not touch them with your hands. Use the lid to dispense the remedy and drop the remedy directly into their mouths. Touching other people's remedies can lessen their effectiveness. However, when dosing yourself, feel free to put them in your own hands before popping them into your mouth.
- When using homeopathic medicine, you should avoid drinking coffee and using any products (toothpaste, chewing gum, etc.) with a mint flavor. These lessen the efficacy of the remedy.
- Use only the amount prescribed by your homeopath. Homeopathic remedies are best used with the lowest dose necessary.
- Commercially available "combination remedies" are not as effective as finding the single remedy your body needs for healing. A homeopath can help you determine which remedy you need to overcome your specific condition.
Using Homeopathy as Part of Your Family Health Plan
Homeopathy is an excellent method of healing that focuses on strengthening an individual's overall health. Rather than viewing each part of the body separately, a homeopath will look at the ways your body is expressing imbalance and work to bring the entire system back into equilibrium and optimum health. Diet change, exercise and other natural therapies may also be recommended in addition to homeopathic remedies.
Although homeopathy is very effective for both acute and chronic illnesses, there are some cases where conventional medicine is needed. When developing a plan for your family's health care, make sure to also include the professional guidance of a family medical doctor or pediatrician as well (if your homeopath is not also a physician). If possible, seek out a health practice that includes practitioners from a variety of medical backgrounds for the most integrative and comprehensive approach to wellness and healing.