5 Quick cleaning essentials for busy moms
Your house is dirty and it needs to be clean yesterday; you don't have time to mess around. These quick cleaning products and tools are essential for every busy mom.
For spills, messes, and grime, Clorox Disinfecting Wipes are a must. These premoistened wipes allow you to clean quickly and easily anywhere. You can use them on everything from kitchen counters to bathroom sinks and door handles to glass top coffee tables. Clorox recommends wiping and letting it sit for 30 seconds to sanitize or four minutes to disinfect against common bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus (staph), Salmonella enterica, and E. coli. These thick, textured wipes kill 99.9% of germs including cold and flu viruses.
Cordless hand-held vacuum
A Black & Decker Dustbuster (or other cordless hand-held vacuum) can be a lifesaver. These lightweight, easy to use units make cleaning your home and car quick and easy. You'll be surprised how much power and suction is packed into one of these small, compact vacuums. You can use a portable vacuum to clean up everything from dog hair to spilled M&Ms. A portable vacuum can reach into tight spaces and clean debris from stairs, furniture, floors, and even countertops. The filtration system stops dust from escaping back into the air and the bagless system is easy to empty.
All-purpose cleaning spray
You don't need different products for every job. An all-purpose cleaning spray such as Fantastik or Formula 409 can clean multiple surfaces in your kitchen, bathroom, and all over the house. Look for a cleaner without bleach to avoid damaging clothing. All-purpose cleaners are great on countertops, sinks, and appliances. The formula in these cleaners degreases, removes grime and soap scum, and deodorizes surfaces. Lysol All Purpose Cleaner is a powerful disinfectant, killing germs on everything from light switches to door knobs. For an eco-friendly, nontoxic, hypoallergenic cleaner, consider Seventh Generation Free and Clear All Purpose Cleaner. This natural cleaner is tough on dirt but gentle on sensitive skin.
A jug of vinegar is just a few dollars and it can go a long way in your cleaning routine. Here are just some of the hundreds of uses for vinegar.
- Add 1/2 cup to the laundry rinse cycle to brighten colors.
- Rub gently on stains as a pretreatment solution.
- Add 1 cup to every laundry load to prevent lint from clinging to clothes.
- Pour 1 cup into the empty washer and run the machine once a month without clothes to unclog soap scum and clean the hoses.
- Remove hard water stains from your faucet and sink with a spray of 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of vinegar. Use the mixture to clean brass and copper pots.
- Disinfect wood cutting boards and blocks with full strength vinegar.
- Cut grease on dishes by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar to sink water.
- Clean and disinfect the microwave by boiling 1/4 cup of vinegar mixed with 1 cup of water in the microwave.
- Kill germs and deodorize fixtures with a spray of 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar.
- Clean away soap scum and mildew on tile and shower curtain with full strength vinegar.
- Unclog shower head by removing it and then boiling in a solution of equal parts water and vinegar.
- Mop linoleum floors with a solution of 1 cup vinegar to each gallon of water.
As you move from room to room to clean your house, you need a caddy to carry all of your supplies. To be the most efficient, choose a caddy with a non-slip handle that is big enough to organize and store everything under the sink, but also is small and lightweight enough that you can tote it around your home.