Find the perfect baby girl name
Having a baby girl? Congratulations! Now, it's time to name her. Choosing a baby name feels like such a heavy task -- and it is. Whatever name you choose will be with your baby from birth through many life events, so you want to choose well. Whether you are looking for a unique girl name, popular girl name or exotic girl name we have plenty of ideas to choose from!
Baby girls are wonderful, precious gifts (boys are too!) and there is no shortage of great names for them. The hardest part? Narrowing it down ... oh, and the pressure of everyone wanting to know what the name will be.
Seriously when you are pregnant, everyone and their sister wants to know what you are going to name the baby. But don't worry -- you don't have to make a firm decision until delivery. In the meantime, it's a great idea to figure out what names you like and narrow it down. Who knows, you might just find exactly what you are looking for too.
6 tips for naming your baby
Freaked out about naming your baby girl? Don't be. You will find a name that fits perfectly.
- Do look to your family for inspiration. Choosing a family name is a wonderful way to honor important women in your lives. Even last names (or maiden names!) can make wonderful baby names
- Don't let your family dictate the name. It's your baby to name, not theirs. So, if they are pressuring you too much to use a name you don't want to, tell them no. And stand behind that no.
- Do consider names beyond your family. So what that everyone in your family is a Grace, Susan or Sarah? That doesn't mean you have to carry on the tradition. It's okay to branch out if you want to.
- Don't apologize for your decision. While you might want to keep everyone happy, it's your decision and your baby. Stand up for yourself and don't back down.
- Do look to things that matter to your for inspiration. Are you a writer? A celeb watcher? A movie buff? These are all great places to look for baby name inspiration.
- Don't forget that the dad should have a say too. 'Nuff said about that.
Here are a few more great places to turn for inspiration.
Social Security top 100 Baby Name list
Every year, the United States Social Security Administration puts out a list of the Top 100 names for boys and girls. The list is based on babies born and registered with the SSA in the previous year. Why is the list a good place to look for names? There is something to be said for strength in numbers. With thousands and thousands and thousands of names being used every year, there is a reason why these particular names make it in the Top 100. In fact, many are beloved classics.
Unique girl name ideas
Looking for something just a little different? Perhaps a baby name that sounds like a Top 100 name, but with a fun twist? Choosing a baby name with a unique spelling can achieve just that. So, turn your Carol into Caryl or Erin into Aeryn.
Get more tips on finding a baby name with unique spellings here!