No more mommy jeans
Years of child rearing are not only hard on our bodies; they can rob us of our style sense, if we're not careful. No other clothing says this so loudly as mommy jeans -- high-waisted, stonewashed or light blue jeans cinched with a belt or -- gasp -- with an elasticized waistband and tapered at the ankles so that socks peek out. Sadly, they're everywhere. Don't fall into this particularly gruesome fashion abyss: Wear some stylish jeans that fit well and look great.
We're making it easy for you by sourcing a range of jeans designed to suit real bodies, with not a hint of mommy-jeanness in sight.
- Not Your Daughter's Jeans -- otherwise known as the "tummy tuck" jean, the crisscross stretch effect flattens the tummy while lifting the derriere, with the aim of making you look one size smaller.
- Joe's Jeans -- The Muse is a very popular style with its flattering cut and higher rise.
- 7 for All Mankind – Looking for something a little different? Why not team the Dojo Los Angeles Dark Wash with a pair of strappy killer heels?
- Earnest Sewn -- For a sleek, slim look, try on a pair of Zazo Super High Rise Slim Straight Leg. There's no chance of revealing wobbly bits in this pair.
- Lucky Brand Jeans – Team the Ol' Bardot Wash Boyfriend Distressed Jeans with a pair of ballet flats. These slouchy, cropped jeans are reminiscent of Paris in the 60s.
- indiDenim.com - Not finding the right fit anywhere? indiDenim.com produces custom fit jeans based on your personal body shape and size. You can create your own designer identity. All this, while in the privacy of your own home and no pressure from the sales person trying to convince you to buy the pair of jeans creating the effect of a not-so-nice muffin top...!
Here are some cool ideas to create a sleek silhouette and avoid the t-shirt/jean trap. There'll be no recognizing you!
- Kate Spade -- Regal and sophisticated, the Kate Spade Savi top is a 100 percent cotton top with dolman sleeves and delightful bow detail at the neck. Team with a cheerful Condesa Ida bag (named after the Mexico City neighborhood). The orange, heavy cotton canvas bag with vinyl trim is lined with a jacquard and palm tree print. See the Kate Spade clothing lines here.
- J Crew -- Staying with the tunic theme, we adore their delicate linen watercolor floral tunic, which zips up the back and hits at the hip. See all J Crew denim here.
- Sassybax -- Don't forget, though, that the basis of any successful outfit is in good-quality, well-fitting underwear designed to win the battle of the bulge. Try on a Sassybax Torso Trim and eliminate back fat once and for all. Pulled down tightly over the hips, this one piece tucks in the tummy while minimizing the midriff. See all Sassybax body shapers here.