How to organize your closet
Every gal on the go knows the value of planning ahead. A Saturday spent organizing your closet can buy precious time in the morning and, more importantly, allow you to look your best each and every day.
Follow these seven smart tips to streamline your closet:
1) Remember the packing list principleIf you don't love it, don't pack it. On vacation, you look your best because you bring your newest and nicest outfits, leaving the backups at home. Thin your closet according to the same principle. Aim to remove 50 percent of items taking up space.
2) Divide clothing into groupsCreate 3 piles: dump, donate and keep. The "keep" pile should not consist of clothing that is simply wearable, but clothing that makes you look your best. If you haven't worn an item in six months, donate or dump accordingly.
3) Keep unused items elsewhereStore seasonal items or articles of clothing that hold sentimental value in a guest room closet or another part of the house.
4) Arrange like a boutiqueStructure your closet to resemble a boutique, with fewer items and plenty of space between them, as opposed to the cluttered racks of a discount outlet.
5) Group clothing by eventWork clothing in one area, going out items -- such as sexy tops or dresses -- in another, athletic wear in a third, and so on.
6) Hang outfits togetherConsider hanging different components of outfits together, as opposed to hanging all of your tops in one space, your pants in another, etc. To assemble an outfit, hang the top next to the skirt and place your pumps beneath it. This way, the outfit as a whole is ready to wear.
7) Get better hangersInvest in quality wood, padded or plastic hangers -- as opposed to using the skimpy wire ones from the dry cleaner. Also be sure to hang all garments facing the same direction (and with the hangers all hooked the same way).
Follow these tips, and you'll step into your day like celebrity straight from wardrobe, with minimal decision-making and maximum style.