There’s a surprising cross section of hard-core gamblers and those who follow the news of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s every move, and you can find them in Las Vegas. Or, more accurately, you can find them making Vegas-style bets on everything from the name of the new royal baby to when the little bundle of joy will make their grand appearance.
People have long followed the comings and goings of the royal family and gambled on what their futures would hold. As a matter of fact, there’s been continuous betting on if and when Prince William and Duchess Kate will welcome baby number four since the arrival of their third. Just like with his older brother, people have been placing bets on the details of Prince Harry’s second born since he and Meghan welcomed baby Archie. Royal betting is actually pretty popular. Yes, even in this economy.
People placed bets around the prospective name of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank’s first baby leading up to his February 9 birth. The folks behind the odds had a lot of love for the name Alice for a girl, and Henry or Arthur for a boy. Each of those names ranked high with odds of 9/1. However, the royal couple went in another direction when it came to naming the queen’s ninth great-grandchild. The little boy, who is 11th in line for the throne by the way, ended up with August Philip Hawke Brooksbank. The mouthful of a moniker serves as a tribute to Queen Victoria’s consort Prince Albert (his middle name was Augustus), and Eugenie’s grandfather, Prince Philip.
So, what’s the favored name for baby Archie’s little brother or sister? Diana, of course. According to gambing.com, Prince Harry’s late mother’s name is favored 10/1, with Thomas being the favorite if their baby is a boy. Other favorites? Spencer (Princess Diana’s maiden name) with 12/1 odds, and Albert with 16/1 odds. If you’re not a regular gambler, 10/1 odds mean that they’re predicting that there’s a 90.91 percent probability that the new royal baby will be named Diana if she’s a girl, and only a 9.09 percent chance of her being named something else. While the math makes it look like a no-brainer, the numbers aren’t a guarantee, just look at what happened with the last royal baby.
🤑 Betting on the name of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's second-born baby has commenced:
— Gambling.com (@gambling_com) February 22, 2021
Also worth mentioning, Prince Harry has a history of breaking with family tradition, so we’re not going to put too much stock (or too much money) into the odds at this point.
If the Duke and Duchess are looking for some name inspo, they could peruse these unusual celebrity baby names.