The world we live in today is crazy, and welcoming a new baby makes many of us want to get back to good old-fashioned family values — which kind of all starts with a name, right? A spiritual name for your baby girl sets the tone for a peaceful, love-filled life.
Whether you are Christian, Jewish, Muslim or practice another faith, spiritual baby names can be as specific or as general as you’d like. You can let the meaning of the name guide your choice, choose a name based on a person from a sacred text, or even pick something based on a virtue — there are just so many beautiful options.
Here are some perfect picks for your baby girl.
Biblical baby names
Biblical girl names have long topped the Social Security Administration’s Top 100 Baby Names list. Here are some are biblical girl name ideas to consider.
More: 50 Easter-Inspired Baby Names
Celebrity spiritual girl names
Trendsetting celebrities have long been naming their offspring with spiritual names to honor their faith — and because they like unique names. Some celebrities (Madonna comes to mind) even have their own spiritual names. Here are some of our top picks.
- Aisha: Name of Stevie Wonder’s daughter. Aisha was the Prophet Muhammad’s last wife.
- Lourdes: Madonna named her daughter after the place where a young shepherdess had a vision of Mary.
- Honor and Haven: Actress Jessica Alba named her daughters these spiritual names.
- Assisi: Daughter of Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. Named after the birthplace of St. Francis, patron saint of animals.
- Faith: Singer Faith Hill has this beautiful virtue name.
- Sistine: Sylvester Stallone’s daughter is named after the famous chapel whose ceiling was painted by Michelangelo.
- Uma: Actress Uma Thurman is named after a Hindu goddess.
- Seraphina: Actress Jennifer Garner and her husband Ben Affleck gave their daughter this Hebrew name.
- Heavenly Joy: Daughter of music producer Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins and wife Joy Enriquez.
- Helena Grace: Daughter of Gossip Girl’s Kelly Rutherford and Daniel Giersch.
- Heaven Rain: Brooke Burke named her daughter this spiritual name.
More: Bright and Shiny Baby Names That Mean ‘Light’
Virtue baby names
Virtue baby names describe a particular spiritual quality. These names were very popular in the 1600s among Puritans, who commonly named their children Deliverance and Repentance. For more mainstream yet unique and spiritual baby name options, check out this list of virtue girl names.
Baby names that mean ‘spiritual’
Are you looking for a literal translation of a spiritual name? Chinmayi is a baby girl name that means “spiritual joy” and “extreme happiness” in Sanskrit, an ancient language of India.
We also love these baby names with spiritual meanings:
- Batya: Hebrew girl name meaning “daughter of God”
- Celestiel: French girl name meaning “heavenly”
- Celeste: French name meaning “heavenly”
- Angelique: French girl name meaning “like an angel”
- Angela: Spanish girl name meaning “angel”
- Gwyneth: Welsh name meaning “blessed”
More: Native American Baby Names for Girls Beautifully Celebrate a Rich Culture
Originally published November 2015. Updated April 2017.
Leave a Comment