Prince Harry & Meghan Markle Talk Kids in First Joint Interview Since Engagement
Updated Nov. 28, 2017, 11 a.m. ET: Just hours after the official announcement of their engagement, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle sat down for a revealing interview with the BBC — one that hinted heavily (or at least Harry did) at their upcoming plans to give George and Charlotte a cousin or two.
Although Harry said having kids is "not currently" on the docket, he added that he hopes "to start a family in the near future." Markle played it cool, laughing at his comment and moving quickly on to discussion of her insanely sparkly ring.
One thing's for sure: If they do decide to proceed with those quasi-plans for kids, Markle should have no shortage of the chicest maternity hand-me-downs around.
Oh, my. Royal wedding fever — and hence, imaginary royal baby fever — is starting up all over again. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced their engagement at Kensington Palace on Nov. 27.
Absolutely no one on the planet was surprised when Harry told reporters he knew that Markle — star of TV series Suits — was the one for him as soon as they met. The prince and his (now official) bride-to-be met in London in 2016, and the pair has been attempting in vain to keep their romance on the down-low for months as rumors of an impending engagement swirled. Check out this clip of today's formal engagement photo-call.
The wedding is set for spring 2018 according to a statement from the Prince of Wales, aka Harry's dad, aka Prince Charles. First came love, then comes marriage... and now the internet is already hoping (rather fervently) for another royal baby carriage. We'd tell the internet to slow down, but perhaps that baby carriage is already out of the palace gates — at least in Harry's mind. So we're going with it.
Here are the top five reasons we know Prince Harry will (eventually! not soon!) make a royally fab father.
1. He really, really wants kids. Harry's stayed private on many topics through the years — but not about his long-standing wish to become a dad someday. Harry told ABC News back in 2012, "I’ve longed for kids since I was very, very young. I’m waiting to find the right person. Someone who is willing to take on the job.” And just this April, Harry told The Telegraph on its Mad World podcast, “I would love to have kids.”
2. Harry definitely found the "right person." He chose a great mother for any future princes or princesses. Markle obviously adores kids as much as Harry does. Remember when she visited Rwanda in 2016 and dove into painting watercolors with students? Markle is also fond of posting super-cute pics of herself playing with the kids of her close friends — well chosen, Harry.
3. Harry's already had plenty of kid experience. The prince is godfather to a half-dozen of his friends' children — pretty cute. And don't even get us started on his royal cred as Prince George and Princess Charlotte's cool uncle. And don't forget his chill, very amused reaction to a random — and very bold — toddler stealing his popcorn at the 2017 Invictus Games in September.
If that's not dad material, we don't know what is.
4. He's got a fantastic sense of humor and love of mischief — something he attributed to his mom in the recent HBO documentary, Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy. "Our mother was a total kid, through and through. When everybody says to me, ‘So she was fun, give us an example,’ all I can hear is her laugh in my head. That sort of crazy laugh of where there was just pure happiness shown on her face. One of her mottos to me was ‘Be as naughty as you want, just don’t get caught.’” Are you picturing a palace full of cheeky gingers? No? Just me?
5. He knows that a big hug can fix almost everything — something else Harry attributes to Diana. "She would just engulf you and squeeze you as tight as possible — and being as short as I was then, there was no escape, you were there and you were there for as long as she wanted to hold you. Even talking about it now, I can feel the hugs she used to give us. I miss that. I miss that feeling. I miss that part of a family. I miss having that mother to be able to give you those hugs and give you that compassion that I think everybody needs," he said.
So there you have it. We definitely don't want to rush the poor prince into anything. We're just saying he'll do a damn fine job doling out those dad hugs when the time comes.
This story was originally published November 27, 2017 and was updated November 28, 2017.