52 Baby Girl Names That Mean ‘Warrior’ for Your Fierce Little Female
If you’re looking for a super-strong baby girl name, you can’t go wrong with one that means "warrior" — in any language. Whether you go for a name that literally means "soldier" or a name with a broader meaning of warrior (like a person who shows courage or vigor), you have plenty of options for the fierce-as-hell girl you're about to raise.
From Irish and Greek to French and German, here are some of our favorite girl names that mean "warrior."
Irish girl names meaning warrior
- Aife was a female warrior and a sorceress from Ireland who lived in Scotland with other Druid women, initiating and training young Celtic noblemen in the arts of love and war.
Greek girl names meaning warrior
- Aella is the Greek and Latin variant form of Greek Aellô, meaning "storm wind; whirlwind." In Greek mythology, Aella was a double-axe-wielding Amazon warrior who was killed by Herakles.
- Alala is a Greek name meaning "war-like." In mythology, Alala was the sister of Ares and personification of the war cry.
- Andronika is the feminine form of the Greek name Andronikos, meaning "victory of a man/warrior."
- Ptolema is the feminine form of Greek Ptolemy, meaning "aggressive, warlike."
German girl names meaning warrior
Norse girl names meaning warrior
- Borghildr is an Old Norse name meaning "helpful battle maid." In mythology, Borghildr was the goddess of the evening mist who slayed the sun every night.
Welsh girl names meaning warrior
Roman girl names meaning warrior
- Bellona is a Roman name derived from the Latin word bellum ("to fight"). In mythology, Bellona was a goddess of war. Predating both Mars and Ares, she may have been the Romans' first war deity.
- Camilla is a feminine form of Roman Latin Camillus, possibly meaning "attendant (for a temple)." In mythology, Camilla was a warrior maiden and queen of the Volsci.
- Enyo is the Greek counterpart of Roman Latin Bellona, meaning "warlike." In mythology, Enyo was a goddess of war known as the "waster of cities," depicted as being covered in blood and carrying weapons, and a companion (possibly sister or mother) of Ares.
Teutonic girl names meaning warrior
- Brunhilde was a royal maiden who reigned beyond the sea, according to Scandinavian folklore.
French girl names meaning warrior
Gaelic girl names meaning warrior
- Ailbhe is an Irish Gaelic unisex name, possibly derived from the word albho, meaning "bright" and "white." In Irish legend, Ailbhe was a female warrior of the Fianna.
A version of this article was originally published in September 2016.