Young girl scarred for life after mobile phone cover leaks toxic liquid

We live in a fast-paced technological era, and while there are certain perks, there are also major downsides — like the fact that many young children now own mobile phones and sometimes things can go horribly, horribly wrong.

More: It’s unbelievable but kids as young as 10 are sex texting

According to the Daily Record, a 9-year-old girl will be left with permanent scarring after toxic pink glitter leaked out of her unicorn mobile phone cover.

The clear liquid in the cover, which was reportedly purchased from high street store New Look for £5.99, leaked onto the little girl’s bare skin while she was asleep in her bed on Jan. 2 and left her with severe chemical burns on her leg.


The girl’s mother, Karly, told the publication that her daughter will be “scarred for life.”

More: 5 Ways parents can set digital ground rules

“I can’t believe it — she will have a scar in the shape of a phone on her leg,” she said. “There wasn’t a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself — nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns.

“You just don’t think something like that could happen.”

While what recently happened to this girl is by no means her fault, it does highlight the dangers that we are exposed to (especially children) — something which Karly wants other parents to be aware of.

“A lot of young girls have similar phone cases and they have no idea how dangerous they are,” she said.

More: What we can learn from the woman who went a week without her phone

New Look responded by saying they were investigating the incident and have since removed the case from sale.

“We take complaints of this nature extremely seriously,” a spokesperson told the publication.

Does your child have a glittery mobile phone cover? Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Let us know in the comments below.

Tagged in

Comments

Comments are closed.