Adorable baby names from the animal kingdom
Parents have turned to the natural world for baby name inspiration for eons, and yes, this does include animal names.
From birds to insects to large predators, the animal world has plenty to choose from for your baby's name. This naming convention is not a new one, nor is it the exclusive domain of celebrities, who often choose kooky baby names simply because they can. So while there are plenty of celeb kids with name like Bear Blu (Alicia Silverstone's son), Birdie and Cricket (daughters of Busy Philips) and Elsie Otter (Zooey Deschanel's daughter), there are plenty left for the rest of us. Many of these names would work great for boys or girls, too, and if you're not sold on them as a first name, maybe they'd work as a middle name.
There are also tons of baby names that have an animal meaning, so if you love animals but aren't feeling the above names, here are a few to check out.
- Adolph: This Old German name means "noble wolf."
- Ari: Meaning "lion or eagle," this name has Hebrew origins.
- Arno: Another Old German name, this means "eagle wolf."
- Ava: This is a name from a Latin word meaning "bird."
- Bram: A name with Scottish origins, this means "raven."
- Conan: An Irish or Gaelic name, this means "hound."
- Corvina: Meaning "raven," this name has Latin roots.
- Daya: A Hebrew name, this means "bird."
- Dillon: This Irish name means "like a lion."
- Faline: A Latin name, this means "like a cat."
- Kaleb: This Hebrew name means "dog, tenacious."
- Leo: This Latin name means "lion."
- Phelan: Meaning "like a wolf," this name has Irish roots.
- Zipporah: Meaning "bird," this Biblical name has Hebrew origins.