Hip-hop names have a definite swagger to them. They are unique and fun — and with the popularity of the movie Straight Outta Compton, we predict many of these names will be some of the hottest of the year.
Hip-hop names are not only unique, but they are shooting up the popular baby name charts. In fact, the Social Security Administration ranked the name Jayceon as the fastest rising name for boys last year, as it jumped 845 spots in just one year. Jayceon is the real name of the rapper with the stage name The Game, as well as another hip-hop artist who goes by Jayceon.
Hip-hop boy names
One of the most iconic hip-hop groups, N.W.A, not only has amazing music that revolutionized rap music, but they also have a great story about their rise to fame after growing up on the streets of Compton, California, which is featured in the movie, Straight Outta Compton.
For baby name inspiration, here are the stage names and real names of the members of N.W.A.
- Dr. Dre: Andre Romelle Young
- Ice Cube: O’Shea Jackson
- Eazy-E: Eric Lynn Wright
- DJ Yella: Antoine Carraby
- MC Ren: Lorenzo Jerald Patterson
- Arabian Prince (one of the original members who left the group): Kim Renard Nazel
Most rappers use stage names, however, a few use their real name, such as Kanye West and the late Tupac Shakur. Kendrick Lamar dropped his last name of Duckworth, but kept his first and middle names. Here are a few more of our favorite rapper names with their stage names.
- Snoop Dogg: Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr.
- Eminem: Marshall Bruce Mathers
- 50 Cent: Curtis James Jackson
- Jay Z: Shawn Carter
- The Game: Jayceon Terrell Taylor
- The Notorious B.I.G: Christopher George Latore Wallace
Hip-hop girl names
We love the attitude and glamour of hip-hop girl names, as you can see in this list of some of the best female rappers. Most use a stage name, however, a few use their real names (like Lauryn Hill) or some just dropped their last name, like rapper Eve dropped her last name of Jeffers. Iggy Azalea changed her name, however, her real name of Amethyst would have made the perfect stage name. Check out our list of female rappers’ stage names and real names for baby name inspiration.
- Foxy Brown: Inga Marchand
- Lil’ Kim: Kimberly Jones
- Nicki Minaj: Onika Tanya Maraj
- Iggy Azalea: Amethyst Amelia Kelly
- Missy Elliott: Melissa Elliott
- Queen Latifah: Dana Owens
- Left Eye: Lisa Lopes
- MC Lyte: Lana Michele Moorer
- Trina: Katrina Laverne Taylor
- Angel Haze: Raee’n Roes Wilson
Celebrity baby hip-hop names
The babies of our favorite hip-hop artists have names just as cool as their own. Did you know Pharrell has a son named Rocket? Find out more unique celebrity baby names below.
- Ciara: Future
- Jay Z and Beyoncé: Blue Ivy
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian: North West
- Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey: Monroe and Moroccan
- Andre 3000: Seven Sirius Benjamin
- Nas and Kelis: Knight Jones
- Tyga and Blac Chyna: King Cairo Stevenson
- Amber Rose and Wiz Khalifa: Sebastian
- Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz: Egypt and Genesis
- Lil’ Kim: Royal Reign