4 Fun rock garden ideas to make with your kids
You don't have to be a master gardener to create a fun garden for your kids. Liven up your backyard with these rock garden craft ideas.
Rock garden cactus
- Rocks of various sizes
- Green acrylic paint
- Pink acrylic paint
- White paint pen
- Pink permanent marker
- Outdoor adhesive
- Paint the rocks on all sides with a couple of coats of green acrylic paint.
- Paint a tiny rock with pink acrylic paint.
- Once all of the green rocks are dry, use a white paint pen to draw the spikes on the cactus.
- Use a pink permanent marker to draw a flower on the small pink rock.
- Assemble the cactus by gluing the rocks together using the outdoor adhesive. Let the glue set for 24 hours before placing the cactus outside.
Rock garden monsters
- Colorful craft paint
- White craft paint
- Black permanent marker
- Acrylic sealer
- Paint all sides of the rocks with the colorful craft paint, then let them dry.
- Paint 2 eyes on each of the rocks with white paint.
- Once the white paint has dried, use the black permanent marker to make the centers of the eyes. Draw them so that they are looking in various directions.
- Coat the rocks with acrylic sealer to help them stand up to the elements outside.
Toadstool rock sculptures
- Colored acrylic paint
- White acrylic paint
- Outdoor adhesive
- Find some dome-shaped rocks and paint them with the colored acrylic paint to make the top part of the mushroom.
- Find some long, skinny rocks and paint them white. These rocks will become the stem of the mushroom.
- Use the outdoor adhesive to glue the dome-shaped rock on top of the white rock to form the mushroom.
- Paint white dots on the top side of the mushroom, then place the mushroom outside in your rock garden.
- Star-shaped stickers
- Glow-in-the-dark paint
- Clean off the rocks with a cloth, then apply the star-shaped stickers to the rocks.
- Paint over the entire rock, including the sticker, with the glow-in-the-dark paint.
- Once the paint is dry, place the rocks in your garden. The stones will charge by the sunlight all day and glow after dark.