Make your own magic reindeer food
This is a fun Christmas activity to share with your children as they prepare for Santa and his team of reindeer to visit your house on Christmas Eve.
For many families, this is truly a time of wonder, and it is an opportunity for us to embrace the magic and create some wonderful memories that will stay with our children for many years to come. This year, why not start to build the anticipation and excitement in your house by preparing some magic reindeer food — specially made to help guide Rudolph and his team of reindeer safely to your house on Christmas Eve.
Be sure to take this magic food and sprinkle on the lawn,
On Christmas, Santa's reindeer travel miles before the dawn,
The smell of oats and glitter path will guide them on their way,
And you'll wake up to Santa's gifts next morn on Christmas Day!
Sprinkle this reindeer food outside tonight,
The moonlight will make it sparkle bright,
As the reindeer fly and roam,
This will guide them to your home.
Magic reindeer food
- Rolled oats
- Red jelly crystals or glitter
- Green jelly crystals or glitter
- Rice Bubbles or other cereal
- Flour (magic flying powder)
- Set ingredients into their own bowls with a little scoop for each and then let your child create their own magic by selecting their own ingredients — a bit like a reindeer food buffet.
- When they have finished, store the mixture in a zip lock back, or a clear cellophane bag with Christmas ribbon tied around the top. On Christmas Eve, just before bedtime, scatter the magic reindeer food on the lawn outside your house. The sparkling glitter and jelly crystals will twinkle under the stars, sending out some Christmas magic to Santa and his reindeer.
- The reindeer can enjoy a bit of a snack while Santa is delivering his presents, and the magic flying powder will give the reindeer a little bit of help to get them flying back into the night sky!
Reindeer food makes a cute little Christmas Eve stocking stuffer, or can be given to school friends on the last day of school as a unique chocolate or candy cane alternative. You could even add one of these special poems (authors unknown) to a card or gift tag, explaining just how the magic reindeer food works!