A butterfly-themed cake is the perfect treat to celebrate your little girl’s birthday. You don’t have to be a master-baker to create it, simply follow this no-fail tutorial and you’ll be able to whip up this sweet birthday cake in just one morning.
Butterfly-themed cake recipe
What you need:
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Heart-shaped cake tin/mould
If you don’t have a heart-shaped cake tin, use a round cake tin and when the cake is baked, cut it in half and turn each side so the straight edges face outwards and the curved edges touch each other.
For each cake — double all ingredients if making two cakes in heart moulds
- 125 grams of butter, soft but not melted
- 2 cups of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of cocoa
- 1/2 cup of water
- 50 grams of butter, soft but not melted
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 1/4 cup of cocoa
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan forced) and butter your heart-shaped cake tin or mould.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, for around three minutes. For best results use a handheld beater or mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until smooth as each egg is added.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a bowl and add to the butter mixture alternately with the milk and water. For instance, after mixing in a little milk/water, beat until smooth; then fold in some dry ingredients. Add more water, mix lightly; fold in more dry ingredients. This method will ensure you don’t end up with a lumpy mixture. Just be careful not to overbeat the mixture as you’re adding the flour and cocoa as it can become dry .
- Pour the cake mix into the cake tin and bake for 40–45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- While this first cake is baking, prep the ingredients for the second cake. Also, mix up your icing by combining all ingredients in one bowl and blending until smooth. If the icing is too dry, add a little water to create a smooth consistency.
- Bake the second cake following the same directions as above. Once both cakes are baked and cooled, arrange on a large platter with the two points of the heart facing each other.
- Ice the cake and place one chocolate Freddo frog in between the two cakes.
- Decorate the wings however you like — you can use Smarties, sprinkles, mini chocolate bars, licorice, whatever you like! We used a mix of small edible sugar balls in frosty pink, baby blue and silver, with two sliced Milky Ways, but feel free to create a look that is as “rustic” or as polished as you like.
- Sprinkle a smattering of butterfly table decorations around the platter to add some colour and sparkle. Enjoy!