With baby name books the size of tomes and naming websites you could click through for days, picking a title for your little bundle of joy can seem like an overwhelming task.
But with these trendy baby name possibilities you can at least get a sense of what’s “in” right now and see what works for you.
Luckily for us, the days when virtually every girl was named Mary and nearly every boy was dubbed John are well in the past. Instead we have an almost endless number of new and creative names to choose from.
Although a few celebrities out there have given their children common names, for the most part actors, singers and models tend to be a creative bunch, and that means they come up with some pretty cool names. Babycenter compiled an ultimate celebrity baby names list and here are some of our favourites:
- Deacon (son of Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe)
- Flynn (son of Miranda Kerr and Orlando Bloom)
- Indiana (son of Casey Affleck and Summer Phoenix)
- Jaden (son of WIll Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith)
- Kingston (son of Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale)
- Knox (son of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt)
- Ryder (son of Kate Hudson and Chris Robinson)
- Ignatius (son of Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton)
- Mattias (son of Will Ferrell and Viveca Paulin)
- Harper (daughter of Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka)
- Apple (daughter of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin)
- Aviana (daughter of Amy Adams and Darren Le Gallo)
- Honor (daughter of Jessica Alba and Cash Warren)
- Blue Ivy (daughter of Beyonce and Jay-Z)
- Lourdes (daughter of Madonna and Carlos Leon)
- Maple (daughter of Jason Bateman and Amanda Anka)
- Rumer (daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore)
- Suri (daughter of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes)
Pop culture-inspired names
Thanks to the pop culture phenomenon that is One Direction, you’ll certainly be on trend if you pick one of the names of the guys from the popular boy band. They’re all from the British Isles, so you have the dapper names Niall, Louis, Harry, Liam and Zayn to choose from.
Some great books have been turned into films and television shows recently, which makes for some of today’s trendiest names. If you’re a fan of The Hunger Games, Katniss, Primrose and Effie can all be considered for girls, while for boys there’s Peeta or Gale to think about. Or if you’re leaning toward something more exotic, Game of Thrones may be more up your alley. For girls, think about Arya, Daenerys, Cersei or Sansa, and for boys, consider Eddard, Tyrion or Bran. The books as well as the television show are filled with other interesting names, so check them out for more ideas!
Most popular names
If you want a trendy name that can still be considered a classic, you can always go with what’s most popular at the moment. Babycenter reveals that the most recent yearly data indicates the top five names for girls were Sophia, Emma, Isabella, Olivia and Ava, and for boys they were Aiden, Jackson, Mason, Liam and Jacob. Those are some pretty cool names to choose from!
But of course, you don’t have to pick something just because it’s “trendy.” These are just popular ideas to get you thinking. What’s most important is that you love the name and will enjoy calling your little one by that title for the rest of his or her life. So take your time, and mull over all your options until you feel really good about your final decision.