From Wyatt to Esmeralda, Buzz to Apollo, 2014 was quite the year for celebrity baby names. We rounded up our list of the best boy and girl names, as well as the worst celebrity baby names that had us scratching our heads.
Best celebrity girl names
Quirky, vintage baby names are totally having a moment — and we are crushing over these celebrity baby name choices. Foo Fighters rocker Dave Grohl named his daughter the adorable name of Ophelia (and we love his two other daughters’ names, Harper and Violet). Scarlett Johansson’s daughter Rose and Grant Show’s adorable name Eloise also make the list.
Gender-bending names are not for everyone, but they are a fun way to turn an otherwise normal boy name into a cool name for a girl. Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher jumped headfirst into this trend by naming their daughter Wyatt Isabelle, as did Drew Barrymore, who named her baby girl Frankie. One of my top picks for this trend is designer Rebecca Minkoff, who named her daughter Bowie. Love.
Lastly, Disney princess names are another celebrity baby name trend. Rachel Bilson named her daughter Briar Rose, from Sleeping Beauty, and Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes named their daughter Esmeralda, from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Check out the list of our picks of the best celebrity girl names of 2014:
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher: Wyatt Isabelle
- Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling: Esmeralda Amada
- Scarlett Johansson: Rose Dorothy
- Kerry Washington: Isabelle
- Drew Barrymore: Frankie
- Grant Show: Eloise
- Jessie James and NFL star Eric Decker: Vivianne Rose
- Emily Blunt and John Krasinski: Hazel
- Kevin Jonas: Alena Rose
- Megan Hilty: Viola Philomena
- Alyssa Milano: Elizabella Dylan
- Stacy Keibler: Ava Grace
- Carson Daly: London Rose
- Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen: Briar Rose
- Snooki: Giovanna
- Tila Tequila: Isabella Monroe
- Robert Downey Jr.: Avri Roel
- LeBron James: Zhuri Nova
- Ellen Pompeo: Sienna May
- Chelsea Clinton: Charlotte
- Dave Grohl: Ophelia
- Savannah Guthrie: Vale
- Eva Amurri: Marlowe Mae
- Rebecca Minkoff: Bowie Lou
- Bruce Willis: Evelyn Penn
- Kelly Clarkson: River Rose
Best celebrity boy names
Hipster boy names were a favorite pick of celebrity parents this year. Some of our favorites include Olivia Wilde’s son Otis, Simon Helberg’s choice of Wilder and Fall Out Boy lead singer Patrick Stump’s son Declan.
Strong names were another trend, with Kelly Rowland naming her son after one of Saturn’s moons, Titan, and Kristin Cavallari picking the name Jaxon for her son. We also love the surfer-inspired names of Owen Wilson’s son Finn and Megan Fox’s second boy, Bodhi.
Check out this year’s cutest boy names:
- Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas: Oliver Finlay
- Kelly Rowland: Titan Jewell
- Scott Foley: Konrad
- Poppy Montgomery: Gus Monroe
- Robbie Williams: Charlton Valentine
- Patrick Stump: Declan
- Lindsay Price and Curtis Stone: Emerson Spencer
- Josh Turner: Samuel Hawke
- Pete Wentz: Saint Lazslo
- Jenelle Evans: Kaiser
- Simon Helberg: Wilder
- Natalia Vodianova: Maxim
- Kristin Cavallari and Jay Cutler: Jaxon Wyatt
- Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis: Otis Alexander
- Melissa Rycroft: Beckett
- Josh Holloway: Hunter
- Chris Hemsworth’s twins: Tristan and Sasha
- Thandie Newton: Booker
- Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green: Bodhi
- Owen Wilson: Finn
- Devon Sawa: Hudson
Worst celebrity girl names
Some of the celebrities that made our worst baby name list chose a name that was too normal, such as Jimmy Kimmel, who named his daughter Jane. Yawn.
Some of these names were a little too “out there,” such as Lil’ Kim’s baby Royal Reign, or hard to pronounce names (that totally sound made up), such as JWoww’s daughter, Meilani.
Sorry to say it, but Christina Aguilera’s name, Summer Rain, reminds us a little of a certain feminine product.
Check out our list of the worst baby girl name of the year:
- Lil’ Kim: Royal Reign
- Drew Brees: Rylen
- Christina Aguilera: Summer Rain
- Doutzen Kroes: Myllena Mae
- Jenni “JWoww” Farley: Meilani Alexandra
- Jimmy Kimmel: Jane
- Rob and Amber Mariano: Adelina
- Kendra Wilkinson: Alijah
- Blake Anderson: Mars Ilah
- Danny Masterson and Bijou Phillips: Fianna Francis
- Michael Jordan: Ysabel
- Shanola Hampton: Cai Myanna
- Anna Trebunskaya: Amalya
Worst celebrity boy names
The Bachelorette‘s Ashley Hebert made our worst list when she named her son Fordham. No, just no.
The most unique name of the bunch, however, goes to Tom Fletcher, of the English group McFly, who named his son Buzz Michelangelo. Buzz Lightyear, anyone? We love Gwen Stefani, but we weren’t feeling her strange baby name choice for her third son, Apollo.
Check who else made our list of the worst boy names of the year:
- Soleil Moon Frye: Lyric Sonny Roads Goldberg (son)
- DJ Diplo: Lazer Lee Louis
- It’s Always Sunny star Glenn Howerton: Isley Ray
- Leelee Sobieski: Martin
- Novak Djokovic: Stefan
- Ashley Hebert: Fordham Rhys
- Mireille Enos: Larkin Zouey
- Ciara: Future Zahir
- McFly’s Tom Fletcher: Buzz Michelangelo
- Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale: Apollo Bowie Flynn
- Jason Biggs: Sid
- Melissa George: Raphaël
- Jared Padalecki: Shepherd
Tell us: Do you agree with our list? Which names do you think are the best and worst of the year?