When you’re busy trying to pull together your Thanksgiving dinner, whip up a batch of this fun pumpkin-scented cloud dough and keep the kids happy for hours.
To make this cloud dough recipe, you’ll want to create a 1:8 ratio (1 part oil, 8 parts dry ingredients). Feel free to double or even triple this amount if you want to fill a large container.
- 8 cups, minus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Oil-based orange food coloring or crushed chalk or tempera paint (enough to achieve desired shade of orange)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- Large bowl for mixing the wet and dry ingredients
- Storage bin or sensory tub for play
- Although you can typically swap out the vegetable oil for baby oil, we don’t recommend doing it here because the competing scents of the baby oil and pumpkin pie spice will likely create something not so wonderful.
- To color the cloud dough, you can do one of two things: You can use crushed orange chalk (or powdered tempera paint) and mix it in the flour before adding the oil or you can use oil-based food coloring and combine it with the oil before adding it to the flour.
- Have your child add the dry ingredients (flour, pumpkin pie spice and chalk or powdered tempera, if using dry color) to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Slowly add the oil, combining with a fork or a whisk. Or, put the kids to work and have them roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly combined, add the cloud dough to a large storage box or sensory bin and let the kids dig in.