The villains and victims of thrilling horror movies possess a unique ability to remain in our thoughts (and nightmares!) for a long time. Give your baby a name that’s just as memorable as these well-known scary movie characters.
It’s easy to pay tribute to the horror genre without resorting to absurd names like Leatherface, Frankenstein or Dracula. Consider one of these movie characters from cult classics:
- Elizabeth (Bram Stoker’s Dracula, 1897)
- Thomas (Nosferatu, 1922)
- Norman (Psycho, 1960)
- Eleanor (The Haunting, 1963)
- Rosemary (Rosemary’s Baby, 1968)
- Regan (The Exorcist, 1973)
- Jedidiah (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, 1974)
- Brody (Jaws, 1975)
- Carol Anne (Poltergeist, 1975)
- Carrie (Carrie, 1976)
- Damien (The Omen, 1976)
- Suzy (Suspiria, 1977)
- Michael (Halloween, 1978)
- Kane (Alien, 1979)
- Jack (The Shining, 1980)
- Jason (Friday the 13th, 1980)
- Freddy (A Nightmare on Elm Street, 1984)
- Malachi (Children of the Corn, 1984)
- Seth (The Fly, 1986)
- Chuckie (Child’s Play, 1988)
- Hannibal (The Silence of the Lambs, 1991)
- Henry (The Good Son, 1993)
- Claudia (Interview with the Vampire, 1994)
- Lestat (Interview with the Vampire, 1994)
- Sidney (Scream, 1996)
- Cole (The Sixth Sense, 1999)
- Samara (The Ring, 2002)
- Esther (Orphan, 2009)
- Matty (The Unborn, 2009)
The characters, of course, are who we remember most vividly, but we mustn’t forget about the talented writers, actors and directors who brought them to life. They, too, provide outstanding inspiration for the perfect scary movie baby name.
What must go through the minds of the writers who create such terrifying characters? Seriously, what were Ann Rice, Bram Stoker, Edgar Allan Poe and Stephen King thinking when they penned their chilling tales?
Notable actors, including Boris Karloff, Linda Blair, Lon Chaney and Sissy Spacek, do such an incredible job of bringing evil to life that we sometimes have trouble disassociating them from their characters. After all, the mere mention of Anthony Hopkins calls to mind cannibalism, does it not?
So, will it be the scary movie’s character, writer, actor or director that inspires your next baby name?