3 No-sew crafts your kids can make in one afternoon
Your kids won't need to learn to use a sewing machine when they tackle these no-sew crafts for kids that require little adult supervision. Discover three simple projects for kids that will keep your brood busy, especially when it's too hot to go outside.
No reason to toss your favorite old shirt or summer dress just because it is on its last leg. Give your apparel new life when you up-cycle it into a no-sew tote you can make without ever threading a needle.
- Old summer dress
- First, cut off any ties or straps your summer dress may have. This project also works with an old T-shirt when you cut off the sleeves before you begin.
- Next, fold the dress or shirt in half lengthwise until the seams meet.
- Then make slits 2 inches deep and 1 inch apart along the bottom width of your folded dress or shirt.
- Now with your dress or shirt still folded, starting about 1/3 of the way from the top of your dress or shirt on the folded side, begin cutting in towards your open side to create 1/2 of a U-shaped cut that ends at the top of your dress or shirt to create handles for your no-sew tote. When you unfold your dress or shirt and lay it on a flat surface, a U-shape should be missing from the top 1/3 of your craft.
- Next, cut your tote 1/3 of the way down on each side to create four handle straps.
- Then, at the bottom of your no-sew project for kids, tie 1 piece of your front fringe with 1 piece of your back fringe and double knot until the entire bottom of your bag is secured and nothing will fall out when you fill your tote.
- Finally, tie 2 of the handle pieces from the same side of your dress or shirt together in a double knot at the top to create your bag's handle. Repeat on the other side so your bag lays flat against your body when you have it on your shoulder. The only thing left to do is fill it with all the other fun no-sew crafts for kids you create.
Explore these Minecraft crafts for kids >>
No-sew T-shirt cape
Daddy is your child's ultimate superhero, so it's only fitting that you turn one of your partner's old T-shirts into a superhero cape. Your little one will love playing make-believe in this no-sew project, following in Daddy's footsteps and saving the world one stuffed animal at a time.
- The largest old T-shirt you can find
- Hot glue gun
- First, lay your T-shirt out flat on a tabletop, decide which side of the shirt you want to use for the cape and cut up 1 side of the seam of the shirt. For this project, the back of a shirt was used. When you reach the sleeves, finish your cut at an angle that ends at the collar. Repeat on the other side of the shirt. Note: You are only cutting through 1 layer of fabric when you cut from the sleeves to the collar.
- Next, continue your cut just below the seam of the collar around the front of your shirt until you have completely removed the collar and attached back of the shirt.
- Then, use your felt to cut out any superhero symbol your kiddo will love, like a star, "pow" burst or super "S" and adhere it to the center of your cape with hot glue.
- Finally, cut the center of the front of your collar so your youngster can tie his or her cape at the neck and fly around the house in a brand new no-sew cape.
Nurture your child's creativity with these sunflower crafts for kids >>
No-sew tumbler cozy
Cup cozies aren't only reserved for hot drinks; in the summer smoothies and ice cold lemonade can cause lots of "sweat" on the outside of your cup. Slip one of these bad boys on the outside of your tumbler and watch it soak up the condensation in style without ever having to sew a stitch.
- Old, clean leg warmer or tube sock
- Embellishments like glitter glue, buttons or trimmings of your choice
- Scrap piece of paper
- Craft glue
- First, hold the top of your leg warmer or tube sock with one hand and carefully cut it straight across the bottom about 3 1/2 inches from the top with sharp scissors.
- Next, lay your no-sew craft for kids on a flat surface and slip a scrap piece of paper into the middle so your glue won't adhere your project shut.
- Then, add the embellishments of your choice to 1 side of your no-sew tumbler cozy with craft glue and allow it to dry.
- Finally, pull out your piece of scrap paper from the middle of your craft, slip your cozy on your tumbler and fill up your cup with your favorite cold sip.