Baby names inspired by the 2014 Tony Awards
The Tony Awards will be presented June 8 on CBS. We have the official list of nominees, which includes a spectacular number of fabulous baby names. Can you pick the winners?
The winner of this year's Best Play will join the good company of Mister Roberts (the first winner), Death of a Salesman, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Lost in Yonkers. This year's nominees for Best Play are:
- Act One
- All the Way
- Casa Valentina
- Mothers and Sons
- Outside Mullingar
Would you name your child Valentina or Mullingar?
The first winner of this award was Kiss Me, Kate (1949). Other winners include South Pacific, Guys and Dolls, My Fair Lady, A Chorus Line, Sweeney Todd, Cats, Les Misérables, The Phantom of the Opera and Rent. This year's nominees for Best Musical are:
- After Midnight
- Beautiful — The Carole King Musical
- A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
Best Revival of a Play
The revival awards have been given out since 1977. This year's nominees for Best Revival of a Play are:
- The Cripple of Inishmaan
- The Glass Menagerie
- A Raisin in the Sun
- Twelfth Night
Best Revival of a Musical
If there aren't enough revivals in a given year, then the musical and plays may be combined for awards nominations. This year's nominees for Best Revival of a Musical are
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- Les Misérables
Violet has become increasingly popular in recent years, but Hedwig is not likely to see much action anytime soon.
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play
Previous winners of this Tony Award include James Earl Jones, Geoffrey Rush, Frank Langella and Ralph Fiennes.
- Bryan Cranston as President Lyndon B. Johnson in All The Way
- Chris O'Dowd as Lennie Small in Of Mice and Men
- Mark Rylance as Richard III in Richard III
- Samuel Barnett as Viola in Twelfth Night
- Tony Shalhoub as Moss Hart, Barnett Hart and George S.Kaufman in Act One
Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play
In the past, this award has gone to Eli Wallach, Roddy McDowall and Al Pacino, to name just a few.
- Brian J. Smith as Jim O'Connor in The Glass Menagerie
- Mark Rylance as Olivia in Twelfth Night
- Paul Chahidi as Maria in Twelfth Night
- Reed Birney as Charlotte in Casa Valentina
- Stephen Fry as Malvolio in Twelfth Night
Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical
These impressive nominees are triple threats — they can sing, dance and act.
- Andy Karl as Rocky Balboa in Rocky
- Bryce Pinkham as Monty Navarro in A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
- Jefferson Mays as the D'Ysquith Family in A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
- Neil Patrick Harrisas Hedwig Robinson in Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- Ramin Karimloo as Jean Valjean in Les Misérables
Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical
The award for Featured Role might be compared to the Oscar's Best Supporting Actor nod.
- Danny Burstein as Herr Schultz in Cabaret
- James Monroe Iglehart as Genie in Aladdin
- Jarrod Spector as Barry Mann in Beautiful — The Carole King Musical
- Joshua Henryas Flick in Violet
- Nick Cordero as Cheech in Bullets Over Broadway
More celebrity inspiration: Pop star baby names >>
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play
This Tony has been awarded to greats such as Ann Bancroft, Julie Harris, Maureen Stapleton and Judi Dench.
- Audra McDonald as Billie Holiday in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar & Grill
- Cherry Jones as Amanda Wingfield in The Glass Menagerie
- Estelle Parsons as Alexandra in The Velocity of Autumn
- LaTanya Richardson Jacksonas Lena Younger in A Raisin in the Sun
- Tyne Daly as Katharine Gerard in Mothers and Sons
Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play
Ellen Barkin, Angela Lansbury and Judith Light are just a few of the wonderful actresses who've won this prestigious Tony.
- Anika Noni Roseas Beneatha Younger in A Raisin in the Sun
- Celia Keenan-Bolger as Laura Wingfield in The Glass Menagerie
- Mare Winningham as Rita in Casa Valentina
- Sarah Greene as Helen McCormick in The Cripple of Inishmaan
- Sophie Okonedo as Ruth Younger in A Raisin in the Sun
Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical
Which of these nominees will join the ranks of greats like Mary Martin, Diahann Carroll, Carol Channing and Vivien Leigh?
- Idina Menzel as Elizabeth Vaughan in If/Then
- Jessie Mueller as Carole King in Beautiful — The Carole King Musical
- Kelli O'Hara as Francesca Johnson in The Bridges of Madison County
- Mary Bridget Davies as Janis Joplin in A Night with Janis Joplin
- Sutton Fosteras Violet Karl in Violet
Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical
These "supporting actresses" stole the show.
- Adriane Lenox as various characters in After Midnight
- Anika Larsenas Cynthia Weil in Beautiful — The Carole King Musical
- Lauren Worsham as Phoebe D'Ysquith in A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
- Lena Hall as Yitzhak in Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- Linda Emond as Fräulein Schneider in Cabaret