The simplest crafts are often the best, especially for young kids — and these yarn crafts are no exception. Transform those leftover piles of scrap yarn into a fun afternoon craft your kids will love.
Push pin string art
- Foam core board
- Push pins
- Picture frame
- Cut a piece of foam core board that is small enough to fit in the picture frame.
- Use a pen or a pencil to faintly draw the outline of the design you would like to make.
- Push the push pins in along the outline.
- Wrap the end of the yarn a few times around 1 of the push pins, then fill in the design by wrapping the yarn randomly around each of the push pins, working your way back and forth across the picture.
- Once the design is filled in, cut the yarn and wrap the end around 1 of the push pins.
- Remove the glass from the picture frame and put the foam core board in the frame.
Yarn doll craft
- Start wrapping the yarn around a 12 inch wide piece of cardboard. You will want to wrap the yarn around the cardboard at least 100 times, more if you want to have a fuller yarn doll.
- Carefully slide the wrapped yarn off of the cardboard, keeping the bundle together.
- Cut a piece of yarn that is a few inches long and tie it around 1 end of the yarn bundle about 2 inches from the end of the bundle. This creates the doll’s head.
- Cut open the looped end of the bundle opposite the doll’s head.
- Separate off 2 smaller bundles to form the doll’s arms. Tie the 2 bundles off with a short piece of yarn, then trim away any excess yarn to make the arms the appropriate length.
- Tie a piece of yarn around the middle of the doll to form the waist.
- Separate the yarn below the waist into 2 equal sections. Use more short pieces of yarn to tie off the bundles at the bottom of the legs.
- Cut out a letter (or a shape) from a piece of cardboard.
- Start wrapping yarn around the cardboard letter.
- Keep wrapping until the letter is completely covered with the yarn and the cardboard no longer shows through.
- Secure the ends of the yarn by tucking them into the yarn on the back side of the letter.