Video: How a group of girls just redefined Ban Bossy
When we first saw Lean In author Sheryl Sandberg's new Ban Bossy campaign a few weeks ago, we were intrigued – and also had lots of, sometimes heated, conversation about whether it’s effective to ban words or “own” them. So, we decided to ask a group of 8-and 9-year-old girls what “bossy” meant to them. What they said might surprise you.
Whatever the words, we should be equipping girls with the tools to cope with whatever stands in the way of their dreams and goals. Join the movement and create your own #BossyIs video.
Want to join the conversation?
Sit down with your kids
Videotape what bossy is and what it means to them
- What does bossy mean to you?
- What would you do if someone called you bossy?
- How is being a leader different from being bossy?
- Can both boys and girls be bossy?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
3. Upload it to social media with the hashtag #BossyIs