Edible Earth Day crafts for kids
Saving the planet has never been more important than it is today. Earth Day is April 22, and these edible Earth Day crafts are the perfect way to get your kids thinking about the planet.
Happy Earth Day cookies
- 2 packages of sugar cookie mix (16 ounce size)
- 2 eggs
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- Blue food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Candy eyes
- Black icing
- Granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 packages of sugar cookie mix, 2 eggs and 2 sticks of melted butter. Stir until ingredients are well combined.
- Divide the dough evenly among 2 bowls.
- Mix the blue food coloring into a bowl, and the green food coloring into another bowl.
- To form the cookies, take 1 tablespoon of green dough and 1 tablespoon of blue dough and press them together. Roll the dough into a ball and place it on a nonstick cookie sheet.
- Cover the flat bottom of a glass with granulated sugar, then press the bottom of the glass into the cookie to flatten it.
- Repeat until you have used up all of the dough.
- Bake the cookies at 375 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the face on the Earth Day cookies by placing a small dab of black icing on the back of 2 candy eyes and placing them on the cookie. Use the black icing to create a smile on the cookie.
Earth Day ice cream
- Chocolate ice cream
- Gummi worms
- Oreo cookies
- Glass or plastic cup
- Scoop several scoops of ice cream into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave the ice cream in 10-second intervals until ice cream is softened.
- Transfer softened ice cream to the cup, smooth out the top and place it back in the freezer to re-freeze.
- Place 5 to 10 Oreo cookies in a blender and blend until the cookies become finely crumbled.
- Once hardened, remove the ice cream from the freezer. Place a few gummi worms on top of the ice cream, then top the gummi worms with the Oreo cookie crumbs.
Earth Day Rice Krispies cake pops
Makes 18 cake pops
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bag of marshmallows (16-ounce size)
- Blue food coloring
- Lollipop sticks
- Tube of green icing
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the bag of marshmallows and a few drops of blue food coloring. Stir until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Add in the 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal and stir until the cereal is completely coated by the blue marshmallow mixture.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the Rice Krispies mixture to cool and firm up slightly.
- Once the Rice Krispies mixture is cool enough to handle, wet your hands with cold water, then grab a piece of the Rice Krispies mixture and form it into a 1-1/2 inch ball. Place the ball on a non-stick surface.
- Once all of the balls have been formed, insert a lollipop stick into each ball.
- Use the green icing to decorate the Rice Krispies pops for Earth Day.