Many pop stars are born with one name and become famous with another. Find musical baby-naming inspiration from the given and stage names of these beloved musicians.
Baby girl names inspired by female pop stars
- Adele — Her given name is Adele Laurie Blue Adkins, but we know and love this English singer as simply “Adele.”
- Avril Lavigne — Avril Ramona Lavigne was just 16 when she signed with Arista Records.
- Beyoncé — The superstar and wife of Jay Z has a beautiful given name: Beyoncé Giselle Knowles.
- Britney Spears — Britney Jean Spears, the “Princess of Pop,” is one of the best-selling music artists of all time.
- Demi Lovato — American songstress Demetria Devonne Lovato got her start on Barney & Friends.
- Ellie Goulding — We know her as Ellie, but the full name of this talented English musician is Elena Jane Goulding.
- Gwen Stefani — We love the names Gwen and Gwendolyn, but we’re digging the idea of using Stefani (with proper inflection) as a great baby girl name, too.
- Hayley Williams — Hayley Nichole Williams is the lead vocalist of Paramore.
- Katy Perry — Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson grew up in California thinking she would become a gospel singer. Use Perry for a boy’s name.
We love these classic baby names with a modern twist >>
- Kelly Clarkson — Kelly Brianne Clarkson soared to fame after winning the first American Idol. (What about Clarkson for a baby boy name?)
- Kesha — For her stage persona, Kesha Rose Sebert modified her first name to Ke$ha.
- Lorde — We’re grateful to this New Zealand singer for modifying her professional moniker from Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O’Connor. Consider the Spanish name Lorda for a girl.
- Madonna — Proclaimed the “Greatest Woman in Music” by VH1, Madonna Louise Ciccone has been thrilling fans since 1982.
- Miley Cyrus — The former Hannah Montana star, aka Destiny Hope Cyrus, continues to reinvent herself. Try Cyrus for a baby boy.
- Rihanna — The Barbados-born recording artist grew up as Robyn Rihanna Fenty.
- Selena Gomez — Selena Marie Gomez is known less for her singing than for her Disney TV career and her teenage romance with Justin Bieber.
- Shakira — In 2013, Forbes listed Columbian singer Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll as one of the 100 most powerful women in the world.
- Taylor Swift — So far, so good for Taylor Alison Swift, who has held on to her nice-girl image and become an impressive philanthropist as well.
Baby boy names inspired by male pop stars
- Aloe Blacc — This Panamanian-American musician’s real name is Egbert Nathaniel Dawkins III.
- Bruno Mars — The popular singer-songwriter, aka Peter Gene Hernandez, was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. Both his first and last stage names work for a baby boy.
- Drake — The given name of this Canadian recording artist is Aubrey Drake Graham.
- John Newman — The English singer is best known for the song “Love Me Again.”
- Juicy J — You might not want to name your son Juicy, but you might find inspiration from the rapper’s real name, Jordan Michael Houston.
- Justin Timberlake — J.T. isn’t the only Justin on the Billboard charts, but he’s definitely the most talented one.
- Lil Wayne — Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr. the rapper from New Orleans, surpassed Elvis Presley as the male with most entries on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- Majid Jordan — This Canadian music duo is made up of Majid Al Maskati and Jordan Ullman.
- Martin Garrix — GRX, aka Martijn Garritsen, is the Dutch DJ best-known for the song “Animals.”
- Robin Thicke — Sadly, no matter how talented this singer-songwriter may be, he’ll always be remembered as Miley’s twerking partner.
- Ty Dolla Sign — The LA singer’s given name is Tyrone Griffin, but he also goes by Ty Dolla $ign and Ty$.
- Zedd — The legal name of this Russian-German electro-house musician is Anton Zaslavski.