Simple sideline snacks for the whole team
Whether you're providing snacks for your kids' soccer team or filling up your sports-loving family at a local tailgate, these easy snacks are sure to please everyone on the sidelines.
This easy trail mix is yummy enough for the little ones yet hearty enough for your big-time ballplayers.
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup sun-dried cherries
- 1/3 cup sesame-crusted cashews
- 1/3 cup dried apricots
- 1/3 cup M&M's (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Just shake it all up in a sandwich bag for the perfect combination of healthy and satisfying.
Makes 8 servings
Prepare these roll-ups, wrap them up and then slice them when the team is ready to chow down.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 burrito-sized tortillas
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, taco seasoning, garlic and salsa. Mix well until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Then add in the green onions and cheddar cheese, mixing well.
- Divide the cheese mixture between the 8 tortillas and roll them up tightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, unwrap and slice into rounds. Serve immediately.
Fruit-and-nut oat clusters
Makes about 20 clusters
Prepare these oat clusters in advance, then bag them up and have them ready on the sidelines for your hungry players.
- 1-1/2 cups quick rolled oats
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free cereal flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Lightly spray one with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Add the rolled oats to the baking sheet without the cooking spray. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly toasted, then remove the pan from the oven and set it aside.
- When the oatmeal has cooled, add it to a large bowl along with the gluten-free cereal flakes, almonds, peanuts and apricots. Mix well.
- Add the butter to a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the butter melts, add into the pan the honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove it from the heat.
- Immediately pour the butter mixture over the cereal, nuts and fruit. Use a rubber spatula to mix all the ingredients together so they're well coated.
- Add the mixture to the reserved baking sheet. Use a rubber spatula to spread out and shape the mixture so it's about 1/2 inch thick and in the shape of a rectangle.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely, then use a butter knife to carefully cut it into clusters or squares.
Kale chips with Parmesan cheese
Serves 4 to 6
Salty and crunchy like a chip but healthy like... well, like kale, these chips are the perfect sideline snack.
- 1 bunch curly kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove the kale leaves from their stems and cut them into large pieces. Wash the leaves and dry them thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale leaves, olive oil, Parmesan cheese and salt.
- Spread the leaves out on a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until the leaves are crisp when shaken in a pan.
Assorted-veggie and hummus rolls
These filling hummus-and-veggie rolls are a hearty and healthy option for sideline snacking.
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups arugula, lightly packed
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 4 (8 inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- Spread a thin layer of the hummus of your choice onto the tortillas.
- Layer the veggies, sunflower seeds and cheese (2 slices per tortilla) over the hummus and roll the tortillas. Secure the edges with a toothpick and slice the rolls in half to serve.