These fun, kid-friendly dinner ideas are a breeze to prepare before you head out the door, or they are easy enough for the sitter to tackle while she watches the kids.
Chicken sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 packet Mrs. Dash Sloppy Joe Seasoning
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Hamburger buns
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken, onions and green pepper until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Add Mrs. Dash Sloppy Joe Seasoning, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well and simmer until heated through.
- Serve on buns or rolls.
Mini Mexican pizzas
With this easy and kid-friendly recipe from Catherine of Food Family & Finds, the kids can combine pizza night and taco night! The sitter will have no trouble putting together these filling and nutritionally balanced mini Mexican pizzas.
Ingredients (from bottom to top):
- Seasoned beef
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Tomatoes and black olives
- Brown and season ground beef (Cat uses Taco Bell’s seasoning mix), chop up toppings and layer ingredients in order listed.
- Add refried beans and taco sauce to suit your kids’ preferences.
Perfectly petite pizzas
This recipe for deconstructed petite pizzas by Produce for Kids helps kids (and sitters!) rethink their definition of pizza by incorporating whole-grain English muffins and lots of veggies. And the sitter won’t even have to turn on the oven to re-create this easy, nutritious meal.
- 2 whole-wheat English muffins
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/4 pound deli roast beef
- 1/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 tablespoons guacamole
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 2 mini cucumbers, sliced
- Toast the English muffins.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on each English muffin.
- Add roast beef, cheese, 1 tablespoon guacamole, tomato and cucumber.
These super-easy pizza roll-ups from FamilyFun magazine can be put together in a jiffy — and they’ll get gobbled up even faster!
- 2 9-inch wheat tortillas
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 4 thin slices provolone
- 8 deli-style (extra-large) slices pepperoni
- Marinara sauce or pizza sauce, for serving
- Cover tortillas with a damp paper towel and microwave them for 10 seconds.
- Spread each one with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese, then layer it with 2 slices of provolone and 4 slices of pepperoni.
- Roll up and secure the tortilla with 10 toothpicks, spacing them evenly.
- Trim off the ends of the tortilla and then slice it up between the picks.
- Serve with marinara or pizza sauce.
Tomato burger soup
- 1 quart of crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato juice
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 pound hamburger
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni, prepared according to package
- Fresh basil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved
- In a saucepan, brown the hamburger and season with garlic, onion powder and celery seed.
- Add the onion and bay leaf and don’t drain.
- Add the red pepper, tomatoes and tomato juice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and top with basil and cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.