Brooke Burke’s chicken matzo ball soup
Recipe courtesy of ModernMom.com
- Package of chicken thighs with skin
- Large onion
- Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken bouillon
- Manischewitz Matzo Ball Mix
- 5 Eggs
- Vegetable oil
- One bag of fine egg noodles
- Prepare the matzo balls according to the mix directions, set aside in refrigerator for a half hour. (I usually prepare the 20-23 servings, it actually makes only about 10 if you form them into baseball size balls.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add one finely chopped large onion and one package of chicken thighs, 1 tablespoon of salt, 3 bay leaves. Boil for one hour. Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, one chicken bouillon, (I often add other vegetables like zucchini and squash, as you like). Boil until vegetables are soft, add 1 cup of egg noodles, too much will absorb the broth. Add parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil a separate pot of water and make the matzo balls as directed (I do not drop them into my soup). Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and keep in a separate bowl to add to your soup as desired.
“I serve the soup to each of my children’s liking. I shred the chicken, place it in individual bowls, add a matzo ball for whoever likes them, and then top it off with the soup,” says Burke.