Baby Girl Names Inspired By Powerful Women & the Spirit of Leadership
Our society is going through some serious growing pains right now as the world awakens to inequality and social injustice — but we live in hope that our conversation is opening up the possibility of serious change so our daughters will one day live in a world that is safe and welcoming for them. Heck, our biggest dream is that our baby girls will be the leaders of tomorrow, and we're all about picking out names that will help them fulfill that destiny.
Your daughter can shoot for the stars with these baby names taken from famous female leaders around the world.
Even if America has yet to elect its first female president, there are plenty of nations around the globe who have taken that step. Some of these powerful women may be familiar to you, but others you might not know about — yet. These baby names with great potential run from the familiar — such as Angela and Elizabeth — to those with more of an exotic flair, such as Helle and Iveta.
If you’re looking for a name worthy of a future leader, look no more — these women may be all the inspiration you need. Included are all current female leaders, and a few former leaders as well.
Leader names for baby girls
- Agatha Barbara: Former President of Malta
- Alenka Bratusek: Prime Minister of Slovenia
- Angela Merkel: Chancellor of Germany
- Atifete Jahjaga: President of Kosovo
- Beatrix: Former Queen of the Netherlands
- Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner: President of Argentina
- Dalia Grybauskaite: President of Lithuania
- Dilma Rousseff: President of Brazil
- Doris Leuthard: Former President of the Swiss Federation
- Elizabeth II: Queen of the United Kingdom
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf: President of Liberia
- Helle Thorning-Schmidt: Prime Minister of Denmark
- Isabel Perón: Former President of Argentina
- Iveta Radicová: Former Prime Minister of Slovakia
- Jóhanna Sigurdardóttir: Former Prime Minister of Iceland
- Joyce Banda: President of Malawi
- Julia Gillard: Former Prime Minister of Australia
- Kamla Persad-Bissessar: Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago
- Louise Lake-Tack: Governor-General of Antigua and Barbuda
- Margaret Thatcher: Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Mary Robinson: Former President of Ireland
- Margrethe II: Queen of Denmark
- Park Geun-hye: President of South Korea
- Pearlette Louisy: Governor-General of Saint Lucia
- Portia Simpson Miller: Prime Minister of Jamaica
- Quentin Bryce: Governor-General of Australia
- Sheikh Hasina Wajed: Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Sibel Siber: Prime Minister of North Cyprus
- Vaira Vike-Freiberga: Former President of Latvia
- Violeta de Chamorro: Former President of Nicaragua
- Yingluck Shinawatra: Prime Minister of Thailand
Names meaning “leader”
If those aren’t your speed, check out these girl names which mean leader or chief.
- Ailani: This Hawaiian name means “high chief”
- Alufa: A Hebrew name, this means “leader”
- Deanna: Meaning “church leader,” this name has Old English roots
- Idris: This Welsh name means “fiery leader”
- Oma: This name means “leader”
- Pandra: A Celtic name, this means “chief dragon”
- Ricarda: This Old German name means “powerful leader”
- Valeska: Meaning “splendid leader,” this name has Slavic roots
Originally published December 2015. Updated October 2017.